NEW TANK PLANNING

Ron Popeil

nope just a single 400w over each tank. ive never used supplemental lighting. i like using radiums. i think they satisfy any needs ive ever had.

ryan, a single 400w radium will dominate any cube tank thats 24x24 inches....in a few weeks ill show you.

Im waiting Jordan! If my experiment goes right with my 20G. I will be breking down my 75 and buying a 2' cube. I love the looks of cubes. Maybe even a 3' cube. Well 3'x3'x2' actually. Later Ryan

• 1 month later...

ok well, here is the update on my system:

two tanks were drilled and overflows installed and ready to be used. but first i had to find the time to take down the main tank. what a chore. i skipped all my classes for the day and started at 12 pm. this is what my tank looked like just before i tore it down:

DSCF2471.jpg

bout five hours later i was only about here:

DSCF0750.jpg

after the 120 came down the 60 gallon went up without any problems.

DSCF0756.jpg

then disaster struck.

in setting up 45 gallon, it was set down just barely too hard on the stand, cracking the bottom pane of glass from under the bulkhead with a hairline fracture. needless to say, i was not amused. at all. it really threw a big wrench in the gears of my up-till-then smooth operation. ugh. so i focused on setting up the 60 gallon and by 10:30 pm, i was finally finished. Literally 10 hours of dismantling, catching fish, organizing...

DSCF0763.jpg

...lifting, cutting, plumbing, glueing, bleeding...

DSCF0761.jpg

...filling, releasing and lots of crossed fingers. i had horrendously generous friends help with the set up. without them, it would have been a nightmare. i practically threw everything i wanted to keep in the 60, or in the refugium, kept everything else in a big 45 gallon tub until i could take it to portland to trade in and used some old crappy PC lights over the top of the new tank. after waiting for three weeks for my lumenarcs, they finally arrived, and my animals are much more happy with them. everything is still a mess, finals are coming up, my other tank is being repaired, and so i havent done much as far as organize the tank or its surroundings.

DSCF0779.jpg

DSCF0780.jpg

DSCF0782.jpg

DSCF0777.jpg

eventually the two 1" sea swirls will be on the back side of the tank with some loc line nozzles. the 45 gallon will be seated right next to the 60 and in theory be running two 3/4" sea swirls, again, on the back side. the large spaflex tubing will be cut down a bit below the stand, and basically all the tubing and such will be cleaned up and organized better. the idea behind these two tanks is i wanted a nice clean, easy to tear down, easy to move, easy to set back up system strictly for clownfish and anemones.

the stockman standpipes i was hesitant about using, but now enjoy. their slim design and silence keeps me happy. only problem im really working on is getting the sea swirls to attach nice and even to the top of the tanks, and getting rid of a large portion of microbubbles down in the sump.

and trying to get those nigripes to loosen up and stop being such a terribly reclusive fish.

special thanks to everyone who helped with this system: joel, travis, tim, sarah and the sphinx.

• 4 weeks later...