Failed LED attempt

Mandinga

Just spent 3 hours installing some LED's I bought from Home Depot...I mounted them under a cabinet approximately 6 inches from the surface of the water. This is on my new little nano tank of 4 gallons.

After wiring everything up, the LED's appear to be not even close to bright enough. There are 36 total bulbs with 2.6 watts max per bulb. The color is nice, but the brightness just isn't there...especially during the daytime. With ambient sunlight in the house, you can barely even notice that they are turned on.

I was thinking about running them on a night cycle...lights come on at 5pm, go off at 1 or 2 am...

Has anyone else had this type of experiment go wrong?

I saw some 4w led lights that fit a standard screw in socket at fred myers the other day. They each had a single high powered led with optics to distribute the light. Only problems are the highest k rating was 6500, and they cost $50 each...still, it seems we are approaching the day when led's suitable for aquariums will be not only readily available but easy to install.

Yup, I agree with Moovinfast. You can't base anything on the power consumption of the LED (watts) without knowing the vendor and model of the LED component themselves; only the most recent generations of LEDs approach/exceed the lumens/watt of T-5 or MH lighting. I'll bet you a shiny nickel that most of the 'normal' LED lamps/lights/fixtures are based on rather old LEDs and will produce a lot less light per watt.