Green Dust Algae??? Or What? Help!!

bobby1212

So I have this green algae that has been a real pain for the last 2 weeks. It seems to coat the front a side glass only and on my black skimmer box, but nothing on the rocks or back of the tank that I can tell. When I wipe the glass it is like a powder or dust that just floats around in the water. After awhile the water is clear and everything looks great. Within 6 or less hours it is starting to coat the glass again. It doesn't seem like it is in the water.

I have searched the web for answers and green dust algae is what is seems to be but it seems to mainly happen in freashwater tanks and haven't seem much for solutions for saltwater. Not sure if this is what it is but am hoping someone on here knows and can help me with it.

So what I have done is cut back my lights to 8 hours. I use a phosphate remover so I have no measurable phosphates and no measurable nitrates. Temp is a little high 80 degrees. Nothing has worked so far. Fish and inverts are doing fine.

Here are a few pictures but it doesn't really show it that well. It makes the water look cloudybut it's not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-6028-141867780121_thumb.jpg

post-6028-141867780122_thumb.jpg

post-6028-141867780124_thumb.jpg

How old is the setup?

It seems to me most tanks go through this at some point, most definately if they get real sunlight at all.

Ive never really paid attention to whats happening or what stage the aquariums at when it hits but it seems like its a couple months after the cycle and before large groups of clean up crews/fish are in the tank for over 6 months.

My latest setup is the first time I havent had it happen.

Just grab a Mag float http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4083 and take 20 seconds to clean it off and it will go away at some point.

Looks to me like normal diatoms. This happens in every tank and is part of the cycle. It will even happen after water changes or anytime things are thrown slightly off in the tank. Easy to deal with though. Just wipe it off the glass and get a good cleanup crew to take care of the rocks, sand and keep the glass clean.

Let me know if I can help in that area. I have lots of critters and lots more coming in right after Christmas :)

Congratulations on getting the biology really rockin in your new tank!

Like the guys said, it is pretty common for young tanks like yours to go through a series of waves of diatoms, different types of algae, cyanobacteria, tube worms, etc. As the tank matures, things will probably even out and clear up for you. You've got an intricate ecosystem going on and it takes time for all of the different organisms to find a balance.

I get algae growing on the glass all the time, and when ya use a magnet scraper it looks like it turns into powder right . You will always have algae growing on everything and need to clean the glass every three or four days. You will go through several algae blooms but usually those start on the sand and rocks where the majority of the bacteria is forming. Trust me, your tank will get ugly before it gets nice.