Deepest Reef Aquarium in the World

Phelpsius

Just got back from a trip to San Francisco to visit my girlfriend. While there we went to the California Academy of Sciences. It's kind of OMSI on steroids. One of the coolest exhibits was there 212,000 (!) gallon coral reef aquarium. It is 25 feet deep and houses life from the coral reefs of the Philippines. Here's a pic:

photo.jpg

The tank has over 200 species of fish and coral. The diver in the picture (Diver Dave) was able to answer questions via a microphone in his scuba gear. He talked about the different types of coral and fish. Very cool stuff. He said the giant acrylic wall (shown in the picture) was made in Colorado by the only company in the country that could make that size. If you are every in the bay area I recommend you check it out.

:D Mike

In May the wife and I went down to visit my sister with my parents. We were fortunate enough to have a few hours to go checkout this beautiful place. It is defiantely worth the price and there is much more to see than just the beautiful reef. I would imagine that the reef will be much better looking in the future. They were lacking on the coral and invertibrate side of things by quite a bit. There were definatley lots of fish, some that weren't even "reef safe" lol. I presonally loved their shallow reef section. They had a few different bubble tip anemonies and clowns as well as several different giant clam specie lit by both natural and supplemental artificial light.