zoo eating stars

Beckie

I have always had great growth with zoos. Lately I have seen tons of astrina (sp) stars all over them and closed more often than not.:eek: Will a Harliqiun shrimp eat them. I have pulled some zoos that were covered with them. My purple hornets have gone form 20 to 4 (flame). Is there any thing I can do. It's killing me and my zoos !!!!

Beckie

I thought that asterinas don't eat Zoas?? I've seen them on some of my Zoas but haven't noticed any missing......but then to be honest, it's hard to keep track. The odd thing is they don't touch my green zoas but go after my brown ones causing them to stay closed I suspect.

I do know though that Harliquin shrimp do eat asterina. i hear they get rid of them pretty quickly. The only problem is once they finish eating the asterina that they no longer have any food source since they aren't opportunistic eaters and would die after that. If you end up getting one and need to get rid of it afterwards, I would love to rent him from you for a while:D. Mine are starting to multiply and I'm sure it's only matter of time before i get an explosion(scary)!

I noticed the same thing on my zoas' date=' they started dying and the stars were all over them. What I discovered was that I had zoapox and think the stars were just eating the decaying matter. I dipped w/ Furan 2, and all is (mostly) well again. Good luck.[/quote']

What are the signs/symptoms of zoapox?