Yay... I have Red Bugs!

Theron

Just was inspecting the tank today and saw what looked like small red dots on one of my acros. They were moving around so it looks like it is red bugs. I can only see them on the one coral. I have lots of SPS in the tank. I assume I will have to treat the whole tank. Looks like I will have to get some interceptor. Where can I get some? What is the best way to treat it? I heard that it will kill crabs and shrimp. What about snails?

Theron

Thanks guys, Thanks for the link.

Cyno... That is all I need in my tank right now. I might just wait awhile till I treat. It does not seem to be doing any harm to the coral at the moment. I just won't be trading any corals for a while.

How many treatments did you guys do? How far apart where they?

This brings another question. Do you guys quarentine your corals now? I have not been doing any quarentine or dips to any corals into my tank. What do you do to avoid this in the furture? Sounds like the acro eating flat worms are bad.

Theron

3 treatments a week apart. Some people have treated and not experienced the cyno, some have. Not sure why that is, maybe the ppl who get it have more die-off.

Incoming corals now get the full dip treatment. 6 hours in interceptor, then 30 min in concentrated FWE and lugols dips.

There is a fairly new dip that has gotten good reviews. I guess its supposed to get the AEFW and redbugs as well as all other pests we currently do not want. Its called Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure. Good luck finding it though.

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/produkte/pro-coral-cure.htm

Its no big thing...

Treating for the red bugs is no big deal. People used to insist that 3 treatments were needed, thinking that the bugs might have a life cycle that, in one phase, would resist the medication. This doesn't seem to be the case. People used to worry greatly about the residual med in the water and insist on serial water changes and lots of fresh replacement carbon, but many folks I talk to now are not even so worried about the subsequent 10% water change until the next day or even later. We have treated several times here in the store and seldomly even see dead shrimp or acro crabs. People used to worry about the exact dosing of the med, but now I hear of accidental dosings of many times the suggested dose of 23mg tab per 380 net gallons without problems.( An outbreak of cyanobacteria is a new side effect I have never heard of before.) In short, you have every reason to be concerned about medicating your reef tank; but no evidence to suggest there is anything to fear regarding treatment with Interceptor. R2R2

FWIW it killed all hermits, an emerald crab, a porcelin crab, and lots and lots of pods at the recommended dosage in my tank. After 1 week redbugs were still present on corals, although in much reduced numbers.

There are lots of threads in the SPS forum at RC pertaining to cyno outbreaks after treating with interceptor. Mike had it happen as well i believe.

But if you have a mature tank with good LR, this treatment is fairly simple and does not affect other corals.