cloudy fins?

vanz

I have a sargassum trigger that has cloudy fins for two weeks now since I had him. It doesn't appear to be a problem as he eats okay and doesn't scratch. His eyes are perfectly clear. His body is free of anything as well.

What is it and do I have to worry?

My pictures are crap, but I hope it's enough to diagnose. TIA

auggie_disease_2.jpg

auggie_disease_1.jpg

Despite you not seeing spots on his body, that looks like ich...unfortunately, I've seen it too many times to not know the signs...

If his body was crystal clear, like his fins, you would see his whole body has that...

Not fully broken out means that he is controlling the situation...

DrMerle

Despite you not seeing spots on his body, that looks like ich...unfortunately, I've seen it too many times to not know the signs...

If his body was crystal clear, like his fins, you would see his whole body has that...

Not fully broken out means that he is controlling the situation...

DrMerle

:( You're probably right. I'm setting up a qt tank right now, just have to make up about 15 gallons of water. Hopefully it doesn't get worse in a couple of days when the setup is ready for him. What are the best meds for ick?

That's in your new tank right?

If you want I have some supplements that disolve with the food that help boost the immune system. It's like the hippie way of treating such things, but it has worked for me in other areas. Worst case it does nothing.

Yeah, he's in the new tank. Hey I'll take whatever that can help him! What's the name of that supplement? I heard garlic helps, but I might just have to qt him and use copper.

geez another problem with this fish? How's he liking the new food?

well this problem was ongoing, I thought it was just damages when I first got him and that it would heal on it's own. After about two weeks, it's still there. Oh and I haven't fed him the food since I first tried it, however I do use it in my 40g and the fish goes nuts over it(rock2). I think the particles are a little too small for just 2 fish in my 125 and a lot of it will go to waste if I feed it there.

I know I shouldn't have done it....but I added a new fish today:(

I even gave it a fresh water dip (laugh):(

I've never treated for ich (crosses fingers and knocks on wood) but I do hypo fish in QT before the display and ich has never made the display.

JME

I thought copper was hard on the fish, but just how careful we have to be is still up for grabs, people ahve used it for quite some time.

Since there has been some feeding issues, it is possible that if you resolve those and the fish gets healthier, then it could kick the ich on it's own, but again, I have never treated for it so it's just an opinion.

what was this one?

Just a diamond goby. Which is no where to be seen now(scratch)

I've never treated for ich (crosses fingers and knocks on wood) but I do hypo fish in QT before the display and ich has never made the display.

JME

I thought copper was hard on the fish, but just how careful we have to be is still up for grabs, people ahve used it for quite some time.

Since there has been some feeding issues, it is possible that if you resolve those and the fish gets healthier, then it could kick the ich on it's own, but again, I have never treated for it so it's just an opinion.

You know, I've been debating this in my head and I think I'm going to leave him in the display. It may not be ich. A person over at reefcentral thinks it lymphocystis. It looks like only the dorsal and anal fins have this cloudiness, the caudal and pectoral fins look fine. Although the growth is not protruding out like a cauliflower like the examples I've seen.

I'll just feed him with vitamin enriched foods to boost his immune system.

Anyone know where I can get selcon or vita-chem?

I would try feeding him live brine shrimp. Feed the vitamin mixture to the brine, wait until they eat a good portion of it, then feed the brine to the fish. Soaking the food in enrichment doesn't seem to do anything but make a big cloud when the food hits the water (as all of the enrichment goes away).

Well, I don't think it's lymphocystis anymore....I think it's flukes. The opaqueness is spreading and now his eyes are getting cloudy.

I'll be treating with prazipro which hopefully I'll pick up today. I'll also be treating in the display...don't have many corals in there so should be okay.

Stop, don't do that!

Prazipro will stay in your rocks for years! It isused in some fry setups to eliminate hydroids, the same is true for dwarf seahorses. Either way it stays for years. It is very effective though, at killing inverts for years!

If you just need a bin or small tank to treat in, I can hook you up. I got a ton of rubbermaids from Matt. I think I have some prazipro as well, but need to see if it is expired.

World Of Wet Pets in Beaverton usually has live brine shrimp. It is off of Beaverton Hillsdale Highway across the street from where Aquaticus was. If you keep going past Aquaticus I think it is the next right before the AAA building. I get crazy coral deals there sometimes.

I picked up prazipro this afternoon but haven't used it yet. Was trying to gather as much info on it before doing it.

I've been reading this thread on reefcentral about flukes and prazipro:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260067

Kevin, did you mix it with anything? I left you a voice message.

I can set up a QT, but I think it's going to be too stressful. How about the flukes that have contaminated the display?

I picked up prazipro this afternoon but haven't used it yet. Was trying to gather as much info on it before doing it.

I've been reading this thread on reefcentral about flukes and prazipro:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260067

Kevin, did you mix it with anything? I left you a voice message.

I can set up a QT, but I think it's going to be too stressful. How about the flukes that have contaminated the display?

My bad, apparently in my exhausted state of last night I got praziquantel and panacur mixed up in my head. They both start with "p" if that is a good excuse.

Sorry.

Going through my notes I did feed out Prazipro to brine shrimp and then feed that to the fry and to treat wild caught seahorses. My focus was more for internal parasites in the digestive track. For the external parasites I would use a series of freshwater dips, similiar to how Jay described in the thread you linked.

I have read that praziquantel will kill off some bacteria which might be why some people talked about a rise in ammonia and an increase in skimmate prodcution, part of that might be attributed to the fluke and worm death as well, hard to know how much of what.

There seems to be a track record of people treating there systems with succsess, it might be a good idea to kill the other flukes that are in your system so the problem is not reoccuring.

I might consider using a product like Amquel to neuatralize the ammonia that other people are reporting to lessen the stress on the fish and system.

Hope I confused you enough for one day. (whistle)(plotting)

I dosed the system friday night. I left to go on trip yesterday so I didn't see him all day. Just got home and he looks better! His eyes have cleared and the opaque stuff on his fins are going away as well. I'll be doing another treatment in a few days just to make sure. Also dosing a second time because when I did the first half treatment to see if there would be a bad reaction, I forgot to take the carbon offline. I realized this 30 mins in, and when everything looked okay, I disconnected the carbon and poured in the second half.

My skimmer hasn't been going crazy for some reason(scratch) I read that it will overflow and foam like hell.