Potato Bug Looking Thing...

orion

Thanks guys! We don't want to kill anything that might be OK for the tank, but if it's bad, we're all about elimination...heh

For instance, I just spotted what we can only describe as a bristle worm. Research has said both good and bad...do we yank it out and get rid of it or do we keep it in there for it's scavenger qualities?

I have some of the ones in the first pic. Don't recall what they are but when I identified them it said they are good so I left them alone. Same for the bristleworms. I have several of them (a week or so ago I spotted half a dozen or so at night) however I think the 6 line wrasse keeps them from getting too big. Also a keeper in my opinion but as mentioned there are some that will say it has to go.

The critter in the first picture is called a Chiton and it is totally reef safe. I have a bunch of them.

http://library.thinkquest.org/J001418/chiton.html

The second photo looks like a bristle worm.

Shane

Like Shane said, they are reef safe.

Chitons do make a cool addition to your tank. They are algae eaters and will harm nothing. I once had a Gumboot Chiton (Cryptochiton stelleri) that was about a foot in length that we kept in the coldwater tank at the dive shop I worked at years ago.

Gumboot.jpg

Like Shane said, they are reef safe.

Chitons do make a cool addition to your tank. They are algae eaters and will harm nothing. I once had a Gumboot Chiton (Cryptochiton stelleri) that was about a foot in length that we kept in the coldwater tank at the dive shop I worked at years ago.

Gumboot.jpg

Wow that is a nice pic how cool!! My wife laughs at me as I spend anywhere from 1 to 3 hours a night looking at the tank in the dark (nutty) I am just amazed at all the action in the tank after the lights go out. There is a lot of discussion on bristle worms I am going to keep an eye on them but for now I am going to leave them alone. Thanks once again for all the input guys (clap)