HELP! lighting...DIY

Mandinga

Thanks for reading this!

I have a cube tank, 24" x 24".

My pendant MH has to go ... i need something that blocks excess light from shining around the tank...into my front room and the eyes of little ones.

Any ideas about a canopy, or a simple fix? I really like the open top, but the excess light is killing me.

Here is a picture when we were setting up

DSC03300.JPG

DSC03305.JPG

also, the front corners are rounded, the back is square.

Simple fix

Least expensive and maybe a temporary fix is just plain aluminum foil around the edge of the light, or an extension of the tank perimeter say with a bent strip of stainless steel about 2" high glued onto the tanks edge? Don't now where you might get that.(clap)

i think the aluminum foil is a great idea! At least for a quick fix.

I raised the lights from off the tank. Problem is that the bottom of the fixture is about 15" from the surface of the tank. If I extend the light with aluminum foil or metal sheeting I can spotlight the tank below.

I was also toying with the idea of an acrylic hood...wood is ok, but it seems -- sooo -- 2002. A permanently affixed acrylic hood...with door buil't in? maybe i fell off my rocker.

Oh' date=' and a beautiful tank btw! (clap) (rock2)[/quote']

thanks. Just getting it started again...the tank has changed quite a bit since I took the pictures...livestock wise.

I will post some pictures of this process as I construct the light, or the quick fix.

previously I had the fixture sitting only about 3" from the water...the lighting spectrum was beautiful, but the corals didn't appreciate the 4 degree swing in temp change.

Very nice tank! The problem I see with using the foil is that it will condensate and drip water down the side of the tank plus it will hold the heat from the light over the tank and may end up heating the water. I would suggest building a 8 inch open top hood or skirt if you will so that the heat and evaporation can escape. There are a few people here on the site that have hung there light with a bent piece of stainless, I beleave Rick has done that.

Creative

Now if you can punch out desirable shapes in the steel plate, say, stars, moons, planet shapes they will be lit from inside and be cast on the walls! The kids will love it! Either aluminum or steel would be condensed on I would think. If it is raised up 8" then the bent wall steel going straight up but trying the same thing in foil as a demo / model first to see how it works out? Then the steel. Mirrors facing in? That would get the lums going!(laugh)

Thanks for reading this!

I have a cube tank, 24" x 24".

My pendant MH has to go ... i need something that blocks excess light from shining around the tank...into my front room and the eyes of little ones.

Looks like you got your answers but what I did (2 tanks ago)......

I had mine above my tank but not that high, I went to taps plastics and got sheets of black plastic that I placed in front and the sides, had to glue pea size pices of plastic on the tank so it would keep the plastic from falling, plus I cut the plastic like a pyramid sort of so it joined somewhat at the top, not the prettiest but I dont know that pendants are meant to be "blocked". You may want to lower it a bit so you dont much light passing the edges-but I'm sure you mayhave tried that,

The other option which may net you some cash-Sell the little ones, this time of year you will get top dollar-:eek:

Good luck!

I would get top dollar for these specimens.

you said "2 tanks ago". What went wrong? Did the plastic/acrylic melt/warp?

No I caught the "reef addiction" again. I had it many years ago and after many meetings I kicked the habit-(laugh)

Then last November I saw a nano and it was all over. I bought and nano and then upgraded to the truvu, then decided if I am really going to enjoy it I dont want any scratches so I went glass.

And here I am-DOH!

why would it be compromised? You can build with a door or whatever to get in. I mean yeah it makes it a bit more difficult. But you could do open top and still have your suspended light there. It would just block the glare. I had to do this just last week as my wife was always complaining about the escaping light.