How I make my DIY reef food....with pic's

CA2OR

So I just made another batch and did it a bit differently this time around. I've noticed a bit of interest in doing this so I thought I would share what I do. I snapped some pic's of what I used this time so you guys could get an idea.

First time around I spent $8 and I made 2 gallon size freezer zip locks of food. But I bought a mixed seafood bag (for sushi). It worked fine and my entire tank loved it (corals and fish included) but I noticed a few additives to it that I thought might be better to avoid this time. So I got all my stuff from the Deli\butcher for the freshness but ended up paying $13. Made about the same if not a bit more (clap) and I most definatly feel it was worth it.

Here we go, I got handfulls of each ingredient listed from the Deli....sorry I didn't take exact weights...next time I will pay more attention. Problem is next time isn't for about 3 to 6 months depending on feeding.

Ingredients you may chose to use more or less meat or veggies depending on tank inhabitants. Mine is rather meaty as I have triggers and such.

Nori (1 full bag)

1123091754a.jpg

Oysters (1 full jar)

1123091754.jpg

Squid

1123091753.jpg

Scallops

1123091752b.jpg

Crab (this is artificial crab made of white fish, they were out of actual crab meat)

1123091752a.jpg

Shrimp

1123091752.jpg

White fish (I was going to get a fillet or 2 of cod or salmon)

1123091753a.jpg

also mix in your additives or coral foods (cyclopeeze, etc). My self I added 16 mL's of each of these

http://www.marinedepot.com/Liquid_Life_Bio_Marine_Plankton_Promo_Pack_32mL_each_Refrigerated_Food-Liquid_Life-LF1211-FIFDFZRF-LF1211-vi.html

Directions:

add about half of all items listed above into blender (Ultimate Chopper for use with blender attachment) and blend. If it is too thick, you can't see it spinning quick at the bottom and slow rotation at the top, then add some water until it meets desired consistency.

Pour contents of blender into 1 gallon Freezer Zip lock bag and lay flat on counter. Attempt to get as much of the air out as possible by slowly pressing on the bottom of the bag and working your way up. You should avoid getting any of the "paste" in the "zip's" of the ziplocks.

After bag is flattened, approximately 1\4 to 1\8 in thickness depending on your desire, seal bag and lay flat on freezer bottom. If unable, as I am, use a cookie sheet or flat square pan

Add remaining ingredients to blender and repeat.

Simply chop into cubes at will or you may pour into ice cube trays or what have you. I just chop off as I need to feed.

You should end up with something like this. Not bad for $13. Benefit, it's a all in one food for your entire reef....and it's $13 for like 6 months worth

This is what I got

1124092313.jpg

Sample of pan to use to flatten food when freezing. Note pan is square and the ziplocks should be approximately same depth as this pan

1124092307.jpg

1124092307a.jpg

It's only $13 if you do the basic stuff though. The supplement and the nori you add brings the price up to like $26 or so. Still a great deal for the amount of really nutritious food your getting...

One downside is that it stinks very badly until it freezes up. Oh, and the lady at the seafood counter, although very helpful, undoubtedly thought we had lost our minds(nutty)

I start off at the Asian market. Get a bag of frozen fish pieces. This has all sorts of stuff including shrimp, crab,octopus,squid, and more. I get a block of little white fish and uncooked seaweed. I add cyclop-eze garlic flake food. Blend. I spread the mix into mini ice cube trays and freeze. Feed 2 cubes a day.

Next time i will add oysters and oyster eggs. It's soooooooooo much cheeper and everything feeds from it.

This was a great walk through and very helpful. But when I did the math, I figure that making the same amount of food would cost be about $50,000! (scratch)

Let me double check my math:

Nori - $4.99

Oysters - $5.67

Scallops - $3.48

My wife divorcing me for using her kitchen to make fish food - $49,985.86 - Oh there it is DOH!(laugh)

This was a great walk through and very helpful. But when I did the math, I figure that making the same amount of food would cost be about $50,000! (scratch)

Let me double check my math:

Nori - $4.99

Oysters - $5.67

Scallops - $3.48

My wife divorcing me for using her kitchen to make fish food - $49,985.86 - Oh there it is DOH!(laugh)

If you get away with it. There is still the explaining of the bag of pellets in the freezer next to the frozen dinner roles. What's that smell??(whistle)Sushi alla tar tar(laugh)

• 4 months later...

Re: How I make my DIY reef food....with pic's

I used a "slap chop" for the meats, blended the veggies ,nori and supplements with rodi water and froze in bags. Seems to really mess the tank when thawed. Have you experemented with thickness of the paste or any safe binders to keep it from clouding the water?

yes key one is to rinse very thuroughly. you kinda have to play with it in the blender as far as slowly adding water till it is like paste. I also used some of those gel cubes which really helped in the binding and such

• 1 month later...

Fred Meyers sells the small ice cube trays, almost the same size and frozen fish cubes. Reusable and rather cheap when you look at the big picture. I used the regular ground up garlic in a jar you find at Winco. It is pure stuff with no additives. Sometimes when you buy designated marine type stuff you pay more. JMO

Good luck. Fun to make your own food. I do it about every 3 months. I let the kids feed so no overfeeding when I tell them they only get 3 cubes to feed each time.

Fred Meyers sells the small ice cube trays, almost the same size and frozen fish cubes. Reusable and rather cheap when you look at the big picture. I used the regular ground up garlic in a jar you find at Winco. It is pure stuff with no additives. Sometimes when you buy designated marine type stuff you pay more. JMO

Good luck. Fun to make your own food. I do it about every 3 months. I let the kids feed so no overfeeding when I tell them they only get 3 cubes to feed each time.

yep but they are hard to find in that huge place...lol

I found them in the same isle with the small appliances and plastic storage containers in the home sections to be a little more specific. They are perfect for this though that's for sure...

I made my first batch last week. Nothing that fancy, but the fish seemed to like it.

Got some clams, shrimp, some mysis, red seaweed, nori, some fresh garlic. About a cup of rodi water and tossed it in my magic bullet. Froze it up in a ziploc baggie. Nothing special, but the fish love it. Probably about 4 bucks into it.

• 1 month later...
Snowpunk funny about the ice cube trays. I had the same ordeal. Daughter finally found it!!!

A much better solution that I've found is to use the eggcrate diffusers for florescent lighting in offices

( http://www.collins-consulting.org/orchids/eggCrate.jpg )

Just cut the egg crate to the size of a cookiesheet, place it on the sheet, then fill each square with the mashed up food. Let it freeze and you can pop out little cubes of food. It seems to be a much better size than the ice cube trays, plus you can make a LOT more at once.

Hope someone finds that helpful =)