The Polyps are melting away!

Hog Head

I have two pieces of Acro and the smaller one is melting away from the top to the bottom leaving the white skeleton behind. I checked all levels and everything is within spec or perfect. Nothing has changed except I had to sub a K4 for a K1. The larger Acro seems to like the extra flow. The polyps on the smaller piece where withdrawn before the addition of the K4 and had previously been growing well. Any ideas?

hog' date=' have you been feeding them good? that might be part of the problem, and it might also be lack of proper lighting as well. do you happen to have any pics of the acros? it might be easier to diagnose the problem with pictures[/quote']

It has been a couple of weeks since I fed them and they have done very well under the current light. The bulbs are fresh, only about 2 1/2 months old. Here is a pic from before.

picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=482

The piece in question is in the front and has grown since the pic was taken.

The larger piece in the back has grown quite a bit and currently has full polyp extension, seems like even more with the extra flow. None of the flow is directed at them. Both K's are pointed at the front of the tank. I hop they haven't been starved. It's hard enough just to get my wife to feed the fish when I am gone.

aye' date=' and you may want to look into upgrading to T5HO lighting, everyone i have ever talked to claims that PC, no matter how many watts, just arent enough for acros[/quote']

I am almost done refinishing the stand, then they will have a 72" Maristar with three 250w 10K Ushios over them.

from what i understand' date=' yes, rabid tissue necrosis and slow tissue necrosis only bothers SPS corals[/quote']

Makes me feel a little better. The pieces of Acro were free but I still don't want to see them die off. I just fed the tank Phyto and Oyster feast. Now I am off to try to redirect the K4 a little. Will the sick piece infect the healthy one? Should I remove the sick one?

from what i understand, and understand, im no expert here, i dont think its really contagious, if you have lugols, you can give it a dip, that might help, certainly wouldnt hurt any, and if you can get your hands on it, give rods coral food a try, its phyto and oyster eggs in it, along with a ton of other stuff that corals love. its a lil more of a complete food for the corals, and pricewise, it really isnt that bad.

from what i understand' date=' and understand, im no expert here, i dont think its really contagious, if you have lugols, you can give it a dip, that might help, certainly wouldnt hurt any, and if you can get your hands on it, give rods coral food a try, its phyto and oyster eggs in it, along with a ton of other stuff that corals love. its a lil more of a complete food for the corals, and pricewise, it really isnt that bad.[/quote']

What is "lugols". I'll try Rod's once my RN is all gone then.

lugols is an iodine dip for corals' date=' its awesome, its a definite must have for adding new corals to a tank, it will get rid of any and all unwanted hitchhikers that are latched onto your frags, check out CA2OR's thread about zoas, its a must read[/quote']

Will do, Thanks.

I had what looks like is happening to your acros happen to me twice. The first time I watched it die away, the second time I ended up taking my dremmel and cutting it just above where its receding. I glued the fresh frag into my tank and all has bee well.

I believe RTN was what it was-not sure but I figured cutting away the dead area was better than watching it melt away again.

Its been 2 weeks and no sign of whatever it was. I now have 3 frags instead of one larger one but they seem to be doing fine.

I had what looks like is happening to your acros happen to me twice. The first time I watched it die away, the second time I ended up taking my dremmel and cutting it just above where its receding. I glued the fresh frag into my tank and all has bee well.

I believe RTN was what it was-not sure but I figured cutting away the dead area was better than watching it melt away again.

Its been 2 weeks and no sign of whatever it was. I now have 3 frags instead of one larger one but they seem to be doing fine.

Can the white areas flesh back out with new polyps or are they gone forever?

Can the white areas flesh back out with new polyps or are they gone forever?

The white areas never came back. Mine was not an issue of flow either, so what others are suggesting did not apply in my situation.

It just showed after a week or so, both times they were new corals, and both corals (actually 3 now that I think about it-2 melted away, I dremmeled the last one) came from the same store in town.