Cube build with LED light

moovinfast

So Ive been wanting to try to build a led light to grow corals. So I was looking fo find or build a small cube tank for the light. I wanted to do a glass tank, but I found this one brand new for less than the cost of acrylic. I couldn't resist. Its 1/2" thick. 20x20x15" with an internal overflow and drilled for the return in the overflow. Next I found a stand on craigslist for $40. All I had to do as drill 2 holes in the top and reinforce the back with some 2x4s. I also bent and attached some 3/4" conduit to hold the light. For the light I ordered two 8.5x17" aluminum heatsinks and a bunch of 3w cree leds and power supplies to run them. We spent a few hours drilling and tapping the heatsink and hooking them together.

4120189477_70d926180f_o.jpg

4120179833_3ea2a6da45_o.jpg

4120179795_6067d3a572_o.jpg

4120179861_85ab21d8d4_o.jpg

4120953352_576da5f506_o.jpg

Im still waiting for a few parts before I can go any further on the light. One of the powersupplies was bad and one of the leds was bad. So Im waiting for replacements. It should be pretty cool when its finished. I tried the ones I could at half brightness and I was seeing spots. So its going to be 39 leds in total. 3 strings of 13. So 26 white and 13 blue. And each color is dimmable so I can tune in the color and brightness.

LED BUILD HERE

Didn't see any acrylic cement. Maybe we'll look again tomorrow. As far as the main parts:

3 Meanwell 60-48D (each can run up to 13 leds each)

26 Cool white q4 Cree leds

13 Royal blue Cree leds

2 aluminum heatsinks (from heatsink usa)

12v dc powersupply and a LM317 (dimmer runs off 10 volts)

2 5k pots (one for each color)

I also think the LED drivers can be controlled with a reef controller. But Im too cheap to try one.

The power supply showed up today and I got it all wired up and running. Still not sure if I'm going to build a canopy around the lights. I'm going to redo the hanging wires and the splash guard once I know where I want everything. I left it so everything is adjustable right now. Its also going to hooked into the other tanks sump once its cycled. So please ignore the heater and other tubes in the tank right now.

Heres all the light at half power

4132368246_976590f65b_o.jpg

Heres just the blues at full power

4131604891_b608a96eae_o.jpg

Heres the whites at full power

4132368090_ef9724f65d_o.jpg

Both at full power

4131604919_34f2086357_o.jpg

Anyone want to let me borrow a par meter? whistle.gif

Nano Tuners guys sell pretty much everything you need. I got the drivers from them. Each Meanwell driver can run up to 13 leds running at 1000ma (the max for the leds). But you have to turn it down from the factory setting of 1300ma by turning a little plastic screw all the way down. You just wire the leds in series. Positive from one led to the Neg of the next and so on. You should check out the nano-reef guys. They have pretty much pioneered building these. Cost wise for a tank my size is $300-$400 depending where you get the parts from. The nano reef guys do group buys sometime which brings the cost down a bit. I got my leds from EGT inc and the heatsinks from heatsinkusa. A general rule is to space the leds about 2" apart from side to side and about 3" from side to side. But if you have a deep tank you will probably also need optics to focus the light. Like a 40 or 60 degree one. But the tighter lens you use the closer you need to space the leds.

Sweet project! I want to do something like this over my tank as well, but only as spot lights.

Did you look into the XR-Gs? I've been just all over the place looking into ideas on how to create the best setup for my 125 long without spending a fortune.