Twin Arc metal halide light

Smann

Might have to keep an eye on this, looks pretty cool. I'm thinking of going back to 10k on my 400's and 20k on the 175's for the "look" i want, this might work just as well. Maybe run the the 10k during the day when i'm not home then have them kick off and back on in the afternoon/evening for the nice blue look

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/04/08/twin-arc-metal-halide-lamp-advanced-lighting-solutions-close-personal/

That is kinda cool! are they saying that the bulb should last at least 2 years? what are the wattages its produced in? cuz I dont see there being enouph room in a 400 watt bulb for another Arc tube, so that kinda tells me that they only come in 175 and 250 watt bulbs.

Says they will be coming out in 250w and 400w versions with a 10K/20K and a 20K/20K choice. I love it. I think this is a great innovation and it will be good to see what happens with them. I wouldn't mind having the ability to increase my par and then change to a color up option when I am looking at my tanks the most. Excellent stuff.

Yah thats what it looks like Mike. Turn it on and get the 10k for say 6hrs, turn it off and back on and you get the 20k for the remaining time you keep your lights on. I think.

Or it could be 2 arc tubes with the same temp. So one day you turn it on it uses the first, the second day it uses the second. Even doing this, it would double the life of the bulb.

Either way pretty darn cool!

One of the articles said it alternates each time it turns off then back on. I guess you could also just let it run normal, the first day would be 10k the next 20k etc not sure what that would do for the tank though. I'll look and see if there is info on just what the manuf reccomends how the bulb should be used

• 1 month later...

Would anybody be interested in doing a group buy on some of these? I'm not sure who else has been contacted by a new member on here about being the exclusive dealer but he is running a special now on the 400W MH bulbs and wasn't sure if anybody else would be interested in getting some.