30 breeder frag/grow-out tank

jgf86123

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most definitely, just picture this, stand decorated with a japanese koi theme, going for the whole zen buddha feel, at a 90 degree angle to the tank, a buddhist shrine, complete with incense burners and large buddha, in a corner almost directly opposite the tank, a lamp, 3 bulbs, different heights, all with black lights, metal halide lighting over the tank, with blue moonlights and blue actinics, behind the stand, where you can see the wall, a pitch black sheet, since we cant paint that wall lol

I still think the posts have potential if they were in the right setting. They would be right at home in my bedroom. Our bed and foot chest are made from logs. You would have needed more though to make it look good.

Were they bamboo boards? If so then it would end up with a skin that looks similar to the one on mine since that is what mine is made from.

Do you plan to coat the inside before you put the sump in? I would since the silicone isn't going to allow any water to escape without soaking into the wood. I think several coats of epoxy paint would probably do the trick.

Sounds like a nice chill spot in the house. I will also be building the 55 in an asian themed room!

I'm going to hijack the thread for a second. RLaForce I still have this pump and I think Clay is coming up here this weekend, if he can get to may place I can send it back with him.

End of Hijack

thats exactly what i was planning doing rick' date=' do you think it'd be ok to bring the tank by again to get the side drilled for the returns? i think having dual returns in the side along with dual drains will make for some really nice flow in the tank[/quote']

I think we can work something out. I think dual drains would be better anyway. You can set them up for a silent drain that way whereas with a single drain you don't want to limit the drain since it increases the chance of flooding.

Coming along quite nicely!

Question for you, did you change up the design from page 2 where you had the post mounted to the sides of the stands frame? I saw a pic on page 3 that looks like the posts are now underneath the stand as to the side.

Very cool, I really like building all my own stuff-its great if you got the skillz

And "I got skillz"-(laugh)(spoken with a little ghetto drawl-Skilllzzz)

Settle down all you haters, its only an expression-(nutty)

Coming along quite nicely!

Question for you, did you change up the design from page 2 where you had the post mounted to the sides of the stands frame? I saw a pic on page 3 that looks like the posts are now underneath the stand as to the side.

Very cool, I really like building all my own stuff-its great if you got the skillz

And "I got skillz"-(laugh)(spoken with a little ghetto drawl-Skilllzzz)

Settle down all you haters, its only an expression-(nutty)

yeah byrd, i did change it around, for 3 reasons, the first, the posts on the outside didnt match the decor in the living, we have a simple japanese motif going on currently, and the second was i didnt quite trust the posts on the outside, they were only held on with 3 screws, 2 top and 1 bottom, and i didnt feel that was safe enough, and the third was i didnt like the height on the previous design, it was almost a foot taller than the tv stand you see in the current pictures, and i just didnt like that much of a height difference, i know, im kinda picky lol

thanks for the kind words folks

mick

yeah byrd, i did change it around, for 3 reasons, the first, the posts on the outside didnt match the decor in the living, we have a simple japanese motif going on currently, and the second was i didnt quite trust the posts on the outside, they were only held on with 3 screws, 2 top and 1 bottom, and i didnt feel that was safe enough, and the third was i didnt like the height on the previous design, it was almost a foot taller than the tv stand you see in the current pictures, and i just didnt like that much of a height difference, i know, im kinda picky lol

thanks for the kind words folks

mick

Safety was my concern, unless you had some serious lag bolts which I could not tell from the photo, its only 30 gallons but at 8+ lbs per gallon, I'm not trusting any "screw"

Just something about building it yourself. My wife laughs at me, every project I do, deck, fence, shed, cabinet, gazebo....it seems I can be found at the end of the day with a cold one in my hand admiring my work-(laugh)

And I'm in sales not construction, anyway Good on Ya for doing it yourself(Bow)

Brad

(backtotopic)

here's a pic of my newest coral addition, a dragon soul favia i picked up from nwcoralfarm yesterday afternoon, i was checking out my tank last night after lights were off with my flashlight, just looking around, and it was fully extended and i just had to get a pic, although, it is kinda hard to take a pic one handed while holding a flashlight lol

SDC10927.jpg

thanks dave, i love the favia, and ill be back this comin week to go through your zoas lol

well, i finally did it, ill post the pics either later tonight or tomorrow, but, i now have a halide over my tank, went to rose city today an grabbed a 175w MH that nick was holding for me, thanks again nick, it was a great deal, an thanks for the tubs blues too.

i have it temporarily over my 20 long until i finish getting the parts together for my 30 breeder, im still needing a pump, i have powerheads lined up, so all i need now is a pump, so if anyone has one they want to let go fairly cheap, let me know.

im still hoping to get the 30 up and running by the first week of december, even if it is to just start the cycle.

well, thats it for now, more updates later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry folks, im kinda dragging on this build, ive got my return pump and skimmer, now i just need to get over to ricks to get the last 2 holes drilled in the tank, get my plumbing put together and get my hands on a sump/fuge. i do have pics of my 20 long if anyones interested in seeing it lol but everything thats in it will be moving to the 30 once its set up.

well, i have to pick it up, but, ive found my sump, im gonna forego getting the other holes drilled, and go with a drain system similar to the one that dave(nwcoralfarm) has on his zoa frag tank, and then just have 1 return. so, hopefully within the next week and a half to 2 weeks, ill have it all set up and ready to go. i did pick up some new corals today, they're int he 20 long, until i get the new tank up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

well, here's the stuff i currently have in the 20 long, its all going in the 30 breeder when its up and running, but, i just had to throw some more pics in this thread, its kinda baren

so, here we go

Dragon Soul Favia-thanks to nwcoralfarm

DragonSoulFavia01.jpg

Mohawk Zoas-thanks to nwcoralfarm

MohawkZoas04.jpg

I call these hawaiian greens cause thats what the most resemble-thanks to Kleen ur K9

HawaiianGreenPalys03.jpg

Green Birdsnest-thanks to Gumby

GreenBirdsnest01.jpg

Blue Eyed Girls-thanks to Rose City Aquariums

BlueEyedGirlZoas02.jpg

Devil's Hand Leather-thanks to Saltfinsax

DevilsHandLeather01.jpg

Onja Monti-thanks to wegotjs

OnjaMonti03.jpg

ORA Green Stylo-thanks to wegotjs

ORAGreenStylo02.jpg

Orange Monti Cap-thanks to wegotjs

OrangeMontiCap01.jpg

Oregon Tort-thanks to wegotjs

OregonTort01.jpg

Purple Death Palys-thanks to doran(defigart)

PurpleDeathPalys01.jpg

Stargazer Palys-thanks to Gumby

StargazerZoas04.jpg

Superman Monti-thanks to wegotjs

SupermanMonti01.jpg

Tub's Blue Zoas-thanks to Rose City Aquarium

TubsBlueZoa01.jpg

Appleberry Monti-thanks to wegotjs

TyreeAppleberryMonti01.jpg

and last but not least, the unidentified monti-thanks to wegotjs

UnknownMonti01.jpg

tell me what ya think folks