30 breeder frag/grow-out tank

jgf86123

well, im starting my build page, i just picked up my 30 breeder today, ill have pics up later on, it needs a good cleaning, but ive got some good stuff for that. had to drive all the way to milwaukie for it, but, got it done. next weekend, sunday hopefully if rick is amenable to that, i plan on heading over and getting it drilled and picking up the 400w light from him, then the weekend after that getting my refugium built and hopefully picking up a pump and a pair of powerheads, if anyone has a used mag 7 or something comparable to it, and a pair of koralia 2 powerheads, let me know and we'll get a price worked out. then the weekend after, ill get the stand built and hopefully get it filled with water.

thats all for now

thanks for all the help guys and gals

here's the pics of the tank and then the build setup im looking at

front view of the tank

30breederfront.jpg

from the top

30breedertop.jpg

and the diagram of the stand

fragtankbuild.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm available most of the time but my schedule is kinda hectic during the week. I make several trips out each day/night and never get a good opportuntity to sleep for more than a few hours at a shot.(It's supposed to be easier when the kids are adults rather than being harder, so much for what it's supposed to be) Weekends are usually pretty open though so just let me know. (Shoot me a PM to get my phone number)

here's the pics, see what i mean by 4" posts? i want to swap those out for 2x4's to make the lines cleaner, then im going to skin it in 3/4" carpenter grade stain ready plywood, then paint it

stand2.jpg

stand3.jpg

stand4.jpg

stand1.jpg

we have a japanese motif going in the room, so the stand must match it lol

a couple more, i think, but, i dont think they will work for the motif we're working with, its an asian theme in the room, and im not sure the posts will work, on top of that, none of them are perfectly straight, which makes things quite difficult, ona plus note, it is perfectly level lol

a couple more' date=' i think, but, i dont think they will work for the motif we're working with, its an asian theme in the room, and im not sure the posts will work, on top of that, none of them are perfectly straight, which makes things quite difficult, ona plus note, it is perfectly level lol[/quote']

Might not work as well for an asian theme but for a western theme it has some potential. For that you wouldn't want straight post but it would take a bit of work getting the bottom leveled out using them. It would take twice as many as the pic has though.

Here's an idea for you, when you decide to skin it pick u some 1/4 - 1/2 plywood and pick up some free bamboo from craigslist. A table saw will cut it right down the middle and then you can cover the plywood with the bamboo halfs, nothing says Japanese like bamboo, well except for just saying "Japanese" this would give you an easy way to skin it with little carpentry experience and no experience in cabinet making. You could make with the full face removable or to where the full front is 2 doors that swing open with the break in the middle completely hidden with the bamboo. Just a thought.

ive actually got some 3/4" stain ready that im going to skin it with, and im tearing it apart this weekend, saturday, and redoing it, i dont like the corners, i dont like the height, and i dont like the base, you cant tell it in the pics i have posted, but, where its sitting, its a foot taller than the next piece of furniture, which doesnt match the room at all, so, im tearing it down, keeping the base thats on it for the top, and doing it all over again lol. just have to reinforce the new top a lil more, and get some other pieces to do the other stuff i wanna do, after that, it'll be good to go, ill get more pics posted up then. im only going to make it 2' tall, the stand that is, so, its gotta be dropped a foot lol

well, since i havent updated in a few days, figure ill do it now, with non pics, yet lol. i picked up my tank from Rick earlier today, got it drilled, thanks a lot rick, i owe ya one. also got the stand finished, i still have to do the skin, but, im gonna wait on that til i get the plumbing done. ill have to get pics up later tonight when i get home, but, things are starting to move along pretty fast.

thanks for all the help on here rick and eric.

well folks, here's those pics i was telling you about

stand with the skin on it, the front is going to be hinged at the top, with fold up legs on the inside for when i want to open it up

stand5.jpg

here it is without the front skin on, you can see the changes i made, if you notice, the bottom has a 3" lip and is fully siliconed, so there should be no leakage in case the tank ever develops a leak

stand6.jpg

really hard to get a good pic of up under it, but, you can see the ribs ive put in there, there's actually 7 of those ribs in there, its overkill, but, its not going anywhere, thats for sure

stand7.jpg

and here's the tank itself, with the holes rick drilled for me, rick, im kinda regretting not having you drill 2 more holes in the side of the tank for my returns there, and use both of those holes for my drains LOL i might have to come back by your house lol

stand8.jpg

what do you think guys an gals?

I like the look of it a lot better without the posts. I think Northwest Coral Farms had a good idea with the bamboo though. lol How dark are you going to stain the skin? I think that you'll be alright without the other holes being that it's only a 30 gallon. I also like the idea of a lip in case any leaks happen. I was just in bed thinking about the stand I want to build for a 55 gallon frag tank I want to put up. So all the build threads help a lot! Note to self don't use posts! lol

.lol im actually going to stain it black, since thats the color thats predominant in the room, and the way we're setting that corner up, well, you'll have to wait and see how it all turns out, but, if it looks half as good once its done as it does in our heads, well, its gonna be tight and psychedelic as hell lol

.lol im actually going to stain it black' date=' since thats the color thats predominant in the room, and the way we're setting that corner up, well, you'll have to wait and see how it all turns out, but, if it looks half as good once its done as it does in our heads, well, its gonna be tight and psychedelic as hell lol[/quote']

Yours is going to be zoa only right? Like little eyes always watching you. lol