Computer build - looking for suggestions

impur

Getting close!!!! Just bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB for $99 over at amazon. Best price i could find for 1.5TB

Now the RAM ugh there are more RAM suppliers out there than mobos!! Either going with Crucial, G.Skill, or OCZ probably 1600 speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Its alive!!!!!!

daa668ed.jpg

Antec Skeleton case

Gigabyte ga-ex58-ud3r

Intel i7-920

Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HD

OCZ Gold 6Gig DDR3 1600

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 512MB GPU

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W PSU

This case is slick!!! I like it. The fan on top is huge and changes color of the LEDs from blue to green to red. Or you can set different combos. You can also slow the fan down, it has 3 speeds. I've got enough room for another video card to run in Crossfire, up to 6 more hard drives, and at least 1 more optical drive.

I installed Windows 7 using an upgrade disc since it was cheaper. I bought the family 3 pack upgrade so i can upgrade my laptop as well. Seems a lot like vista, i hate how it asks for permission to do everything. I'm gonna have to turn that off. But overall seems decent.

I can't get the RAM to run at the right speed yet. I've tried to set the voltage and timings in BIOS but can't get it right. Its running at 1066 speed but its 1600 RAM. I'm going to try overclocking the FSB tonight to see if that helps.

Computer is FAST!!!! You click and its open. Takes about 15-20 seconds to fully boot. I have watched a few short trailers and such to see how the HD video looks and its great on my 32" Toshiba LCD. I'm going to install a new game, Perfect World, tonight and see how it does, how many FPS i can get. Next up i need a tuner card and Bluray writer and i'll be set!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys. I really appreciate it!!!

Last time I ran into ram that wouldn't run at the right speed it was the OCZ ram that was the problem. In a nutshell the OCZ needs to be overclocked to reach the faster speed which will cause it to run hot due to the higher voltage required. I had to pull the OCZ out and switch to Kingston to get that particular system to run the right speed. (FWIW, it was an ASUS MB)

When buying ram do not look at the fancy heatsink but rather compare the voltage requirements and speeds. Higher voltage requirements for the same speeds are a good indication that the ram is being overclocked to reach the stated speed. The reason some ram doesn't come with a fancy heatsink is not necessarily because it is cheaper but rather it often runs cooler and doesn't need it.

Eric - its actually triple channel so 3x1600 and i'm sure thats what i got. The mobo supports up to 2000 speed.

Rick - Yah exactly what i'm finding in my reading. I bought this ram because it gets great reviews AND cuz it looks so sweet!!! I love how the gold heat spreaders reflect the different LED colors from the fan. You are right on the voltage, this ram is meant to be run at 1.65v and the bios are currently set for 1.5v so hopefully by upping the voltage for the ram slots that will get it to run at the 1600 speed. I've toyed with it but haven't set it for good yet, i have never done overclocking before and i'm scared (laugh)