Computer build - looking for suggestions

impur

I know we have some techies here and i'm building a new computer so I thought i'd get some ideas from yous guys.

Here is what i've got:

Antec skeleton case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129056

SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102822

DYNAPOWER USA ADW-50063 Peak: 500W ATX Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817162010

I have the optical drives as well.

For my next purchase i'm looking to buy a CPU/Motherboard combo to save some money. Seems you can get the combo for about 10-20 less than doing it separately. So i've been an AMD guy for the last 5 years or so. I don't necessarily prefer AMD over Intel but AMD seems to be the best bang for the buck. I'll be using this computer for gaming, some video editing very rarely, and as a HTPC. I'll be going with a seagate 1tb SATA HD as well as picking up a few SATA/IDE adapters so I can still use the 3 HDs i have now, which are IDE.

I think i've narrowed it down to this CPU/MB combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.265477

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

I'd like to keep the CPU/MB combo under $300, and I plan to purchase a 2nd video card and run them in CrossFire.

What do you think? Decent combo? Any suggestions? Dos or don'ts?

Do you realize this board has video integrated on the board. In my experience your better off getting one that doesn't if your going to use a separate card and especially so if you run 2 of them.

Also this is a DDR3 board. If you planned to use some memory you already have be sure it is DD3 (Might be if it was bought in the last year but doubtful if not). I haven't checked memory prices recently but last time I did DD3 was still quite a bit more than DDR2. Either way I don't see memory in your list.

If you don't need the ide drives hooked up on a permanent basis you can get a single adapter that will work for any SATA, 3.5 IDE, and 2.5 (notebook) ide as well. I have one that will plug into any of them and comes with a power supply as well. (You can get them for either SATA or USB, get the SATA for the faster speed if you go this route)

If I go for an aftermarket board then I look at Gigabyte first. I've used Intel for the last couple of boards which I had never done in the past and have been very happy with how reliable they are. If your not going to tweak the board then it's hard to beat the reliability of an Intel board. (Not sure if a true Intel board will have crossfire support though) If your planning to tweak it and perhaps overclock the CPU then Gigabyte would be my first choice (Asus was but their quality has slipped in recent years).

BTW, Personally I always spend the extra for Intel processors as they have always been very reliable for me and I can't afford to have my developing system go down if I can help it. I think the AMD processors are more reliable now than they use to be though so other than personal preference I have no really good reason to suggest one over the other.

Yes i'm aware it has onboard video. That isn't a concern for me unless the price difference is significant. This seems to be a great overall board. Its nice to have the onboard video to fall back on if the vid card takes a crap, like on the last computer I built back in 05. The ASUS video card took a dump a few months ago and it allows me to still use the computer without buying another card.

I do have DDR3 memory, no worries.

Good to know on the adapters, perhaps i'll just get some sort of docking station to mount the IDE drives and connect them via USB or eSATA.

I do plan to play with OCing the chip a bit.

I also considered the AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz dual core and seeing if i could unlock the other 2 cores, but its kinda hit or miss and i think the quad core would perform better than the dual core if it cannot be unlocked.

I like the new Intel chips, but they are just a bit more $$ than I want to spend currently.

I've been with AMD for years and love it. I almost switched on this last build I just did but I couldn't do it. Never heard of an AMD chip failing from anyone I personally know and known a few Intels to fail so I just saved a little cash for the same speed.

I got some stuff from the daily deals like my 23.5" ASUS 1080p HDMI LCD for $169!!!

Most others I just did the combo deals...

This is the AMD I went with and I love it! (Yes Eric:p, I LOVE IT!!!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

Their are some good combo deals to be had with it also to save you a little more money on top.

I paired it with this MSI MB and got $25 off with a combo deal. It has plenty of USB, SATA, PCI, and PCIe ports for most anything your doing. Will work with very high DDR3 ram, looks great, and has control panel buttons biult right onto the board which would work great for your case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223

And in true fish lovers fashion I paired it with this case just because I could and although very tight it all fits in(even the huge video card) and works well...

Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166042

Video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841

all this with 4 gigs of OZ DDR3 2000 (pc3 16000) ram, a light scribe DL DVD burner, 1TB WD hard drive, and a 700W dual rail power supply, I couldn't be happier(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)(rock2)

Here is one of the ones I recently put together. The specs are not necessarily that impressive until you consider that the case is the size of a shoebox. (8.7"x 5.1"x 11.8") It is my primary developing machine and packs enough power for both heavy graphics editing and program compiling. Also done a bit of video editing with it as well.

Intel DG45FC (MiniITx with support for Intel® Core™2 Quad Desktop Processors)

2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor (When I built this quad cores were about $700)

4 Gigs of Kingston Hyper X Ram (DDR2 PC8500 @ 1066 Mhz)

3/4 TB via 3.5" Internal Seagate Barracuda SATA Drive

1/2 TB via Drive Bay which holds 2 Hot Swap 7200 RPM SATA Laptop Drives.

Gigabit Ethernet

Onboard 7.1 Channel HD Audio

Intel GMA X4500HD onboard graphics (Blu Ray Compatible, Dual display HDMI & DVI-I)

The Case is an Apex MI-008 that I modded to add the side window and 2 UV Cold Cathode Tubes and to add the stainless handles on top.

The extra blue LED inside is from the southbridge heatsink and fan which I added as the southbridge chip tends to run hot on these boards without it.

Note: I could use the full length PCIe slot for a video card but instead I run a Hauppauge HVR-1250 TV Card (ATSC High Definition Compatible), this system also doubles as a PVR on occasion. I also occasionally run my Blu-Ray drive on this system as well via an eSata cable.

At one point I had this board in an Evercase E0528i-AZ4 Mini-ITX Case which is even smaller (3.47 x 10 x 8.61). It didn't have room for all of the hard drives or a full size optical drive though. It now has an Intel D945GCLF2 Mini-ITX Board (w/Dual Core Atom 330 Hyperthreaded CPU) and is set up to run off a 12 volt Automotive PSU. It includes a 10" touchscreen monitor. I eventually plan to install it in my rock crawler to run GPS and 3 rock cameras. (Cameras similar to rearview cameras at the corners for seeing the rocks and tires)

post-5811-141867750251_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867750255_thumb.jpg

Thats cool Rick i was really looking for something exactly like that case originally. But the skeleton was too cool and the price was too right to pass up.

How do you like that TV tuner card? I haven't even started researching those yet, but will need to very soon.

Thats cool Rick i was really looking for something exactly like that case originally. But the skeleton was too cool and the price was too right to pass up.

How do you like that TV tuner card? I haven't even started researching those yet, but will need to very soon.

It's a decent card. I prefer a dual tuner card where ATSC and NTCS are separate rather than the Hybrid but for $50 it does a great job. I do have 2 of the Hauppauge 1600's which are dual tuners and an Avermedia NTSC tuner in my HTPC. (5 tuners with about 2 TB of storage so I can record 4 and watch one) I prefer them however they require a PCI slot which this board doesn't have. (Barely enough room for the one PCIe slot it has)

I looked at some of the mineral oil cooled systems people were putting together awhile back. I tend to tinker with my systems too much though so I think it would be a lot of trouble to deal with. Also thought about building a water cooled pc/reef system but it would just be novel and not really too practical. The next unique build I do will probably be a silent fanless air cooled htpc system. (The one with the Atom 330 is almost fanless but isn't up to the task of an htpc) The one I posted above was fanless for a short time using a mini kamikaze heatsink on the processor but the southbridge was getting too hot so I switched back to the regular heatsink and fan and put the extra southbridge cooler on it. It's pretty quiet but not quite silent.

I know we have some techies here and i'm building a new computer so I thought i'd get some ideas from yous guys.

Here is what i've got:

Antec skeleton case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129056

SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102822

DYNAPOWER USA ADW-50063 Peak: 500W ATX Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817162010

I have the optical drives as well.

For my next purchase i'm looking to buy a CPU/Motherboard combo to save some money. Seems you can get the combo for about 10-20 less than doing it separately. So i've been an AMD guy for the last 5 years or so. I don't necessarily prefer AMD over Intel but AMD seems to be the best bang for the buck. I'll be using this computer for gaming, some video editing very rarely, and as a HTPC. I'll be going with a seagate 1tb SATA HD as well as picking up a few SATA/IDE adapters so I can still use the 3 HDs i have now, which are IDE.

I think i've narrowed it down to this CPU/MB combo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.265477

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

I'd like to keep the CPU/MB combo under $300, and I plan to purchase a 2nd video card and run them in CrossFire.

What do you think? Decent combo? Any suggestions? Dos or don'ts?

Your into reefs and you didn't decide to go with a home made mineral oil cooled pc in a fish tank?

• 3 weeks later...

EVGA boards are getting good review too. Its tough cuz every board seems to have its share of troubles.

The Asus and Gigabyte boards i'm looking at have awesome OCing along with pretty much all the other goodies i'll need. I guess i just need to pick one and pull the trigger. I was considering an Intel board, but they don't offer much in the way of crossfire and if they have crossfire it seems they don't have a few other things i'm wanting.