Small crab in Scallop?

Griff48

My electric flame scallop happened to be turned toward the front so I got a flashlight to check out its privates(naughty). Inside looking back at me was a small, white crab about 1/2" in size. It was just sitting in there back by the scallop's hinge. As far as I can tell it wasn't there to do any damage. Is there a symbiotic relationship I haven't heard about, or do I need to try to get the crab out of there?(scratch)

Thanks.

Gene

That's very cool. I love commensal crabs/shrimp - an assumption on my part, of coarse. Unfortunately, I can't offer any help, either. But if the scallop isn't showing any negative signs - closing up, retracting it's mantle, etc., than I'm guessing it's fine. If the crab were eating it, I would think the negative effects on the scallop would be quick and apparent.

Oh, and I agree with Eric, a picture of that would be killer.

lol....dont worry....most of us have the same lack of skill or quality of camera. I do agree that you would see some effects if the crab were to be hurting it. When the hermits went after my clam it took no time at all, plus the wrasse helped....and the trigger....oh...and the tang. Pretty much everyone had a go. But the hermits started it. Maybe not the trigger...I don't think I had her then.

Here are a couple of pictures. The one of the scallop has the crab just barely visible. You can see the white color and three of its legs. The fish turd in the background shows up better:p. The second picture is a FTS of the 120 gallon, still a work in progress. There are bubbles on the front because the sump got low overnight. The third picture was taken earlier, just after setting everything up. Anyway, this is the tank I bought from Salty. I combined my critters from my BC29 with most of those that came from Salty.

The purple blob at the top is a big chunk of green star polyp colony. It still hasn't opened up from the move. I thought you couldn't kill that stuff. If it is dead, it is the only casualty.

The gap in the rockwork is my attempt to keep the BTAs separated from everything else. So far it is working:D.

Gene

[ATTACH]6266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6268[/ATTACH]

post-5841-141867750147_thumb.jpg

post-5841-141867750152_thumb.jpg

post-5841-141867750157_thumb.jpg

I like to search for these type of i.d. questions. While I was looking to help you with your crab I found this:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/swcrabid6.htm

If you look a little down the page at the topic Crab Identification - 10/18/06.

I don't know if it's what you have and she as far as I can tell still doesn't know if the crab is what killed her two scallops.