Clams hing off

Saltfinsax

Got a clam from a trade wile back and he seems to be getting better every day. But in the last couple days when he has been trying to close up, he gets his hing point or for a better term, the two shells shift so he can't close all the way.

I go in and pick him up and shift them back in place and he close's up tite and then will open back up in about ten min. like nothing has happen.

I did see some sand being blown down his intake the other day, so moved him some stop it. I wondering if the sand is whats makeing that happen?

Anyone ever see that with a clam?

Check to make sure that it is not infected with boring fungus. To find out look along its shell for tiny pin holes, usually near the base. I cannot remember the treatment, maybe someone else will. A weak hinge does not always mean the clam is infected but most of the time they are. Also check to make sure your alkalinity is high enough, clams in a tank with chronic exposure to low alkalinity can also develop a weak hinge.