Spiral Bulb Growout Experiment

Rick

The algae looks like its only on the rack, had the same thing happen on mine keep brushing and it should stay away, I just have a little fine algae now and a quick brush keeps it moving out. I did pull the rack out once and scrub it really well.

Looks good though!!

The algae looks like its only on the rack, had the same thing happen on mine keep brushing and it should stay away, I just have a little fine algae now and a quick brush keeps it moving out. I did pull the rack out once and scrub it really well.

Looks good though!!

Yep, pretty much just on the rack. The floor was covered too before I added some sand. then the sand was covered until the goby plowed through it. Still a bit here and there but he has the sand pretty clean. I've also been hitting it every few days with a toothbrush and turkey baster.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Currently this tank is almost empty. It has a couple of Palys that started growing on the eggcrate, a bunch of small featherdusters, and some algae. A few months ago the algae broke out and started filling the tank (Not enough cleaners to keep it clean). Since I've decided to downgrade to a smaller display tank I've moved all of the corals and all of the live rock except for a few small pieces into the main tank in preparation to take this tank offline. The only reason it isn't offline yet is because it still have a diamond goby in it that my snowflake eel might find tasty. It may be worth noting that I have moved my pencil urchin from my sump into this tank and in the course of about 4 weeks it has cleaned up the bulk of the algae in the tank. (Between it and the diamond goby the sand is actually cleaner than my display tank)

In summary I think these lights are adequate to grow many soft corals provided there is an adequate cleanup crew present to keep the algae from getting out of control. Photography is certainly much easier since the light temperature is within the normal range of most digital software capabilities and the light is bright enough (at least with a 12" tall tank) to keep the shutter speeds at a reasonable speed. (It actually is lit better for pictures than the 250w lights over my display tank)

this is an interesting thread. i just set up a 20gal long tank for my daughter and i really didnt know how i was going to light it. i think i will get a good clean up crew and a couple of these light and well see what happens. this would be a cheap way to light the tank, as i already have a bulb and a reflector im not using ill just have to get some more of them.