Magnesium Chloride/Sulfate?

Algae

Time to get some more magnesium. I'd like to mix it up with ro/di water and dose the liquid. Do I need BOTH magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate.

If I buy from Bulk Reef the cost (non group buy) is about $100 shipped for 30 lbs. of magnesium chloride (no sulfate).

If I buy Seachem Magnesium (with choride and sulfate), I can but 2- 4kg. (17.5 lbs) pails for about $65, shipped.

The question is: What is the advantage of mixing sufate and chloride? Disadvantage?

I use this from BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Calcium,-Alkalinity-&-Magnesium-Two-Part-Calcium-and-Alkalinity/c1_51/p493/Replacement-Magnesium-pack-(Full-Gallon)/product_info.html

Its a mix of magnesium Chloride & Sulfate and is pre-messured to make exactly 1 gallon. Its only $10. There is NO reason for you to buy 30lbs of magnesium. Thats a lifetimes worth!

BTW: I like the Elos mag test MUCH better then the Salifert. Im not a fan of Salifert, I got one of their bad CA tests, so I pretty much lost faith in them.

Still not sure of the chloride & sulfate combination?

My understanding of the chloride/sulfate issue is:

Mag sulfate is epsom salts. You can find it fairly cheap, but have the potential of adding too much sulfate to your system if you use very much.

Mag chloride is used for de-icing driveways, etc. Generally more expensive but not as easy to overdose your tank with (chloride, not sulfate). I read that if you also add other chloride additives (calcium chloride) and do a lot of dosing, it is possible to get a buildup of chlorides in your system, but it is not common.

Some people use a combination of the two in order to create a better ion balance, or to reduce the total cost of adding mag.

A good discussion of the matter here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php