My new grow out/frag tank!

lancecobb1

Its 48"x20"x12" It has a single overflow in the center of the back.

I am running a HUGE internal pump that the drain cant handle and have it dialed way back, It goes into a scwd then to the spraybars.

The lighting is 4 54w t5s, waiting on new bulbs should be here this week.

Skimmer is a octopus ps-2000.

My plan was to run a big return pump through the spraybars to eliminate powerheads in the tank, but I need to figure something out with the

drain!(scratch) I guess i could cut some more drain holes?

Let me know if you have any ideas!

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

is the scwd 3/4 or 1"/ You can onlu get so much flow through them. I set my tanks up the same way as you have it now. You can enlarge the hole but that is risky drilling or of set 2 drains(one ) on either side of the center and center them from main to tank end.

Very nice setup. Interested to see how your 4 bulb fixture is going to do. I am thinking of going with t5's when I get back to work and have been thinking I need a 6 bulb but the $ diff between the 4 and 6 bulb is almost double and I dont know if its justifyable to go with the 6 if the 4 will work.

Do you have room to add a backup drain? If so then you can pull the current drain pipe out and put a screen at the bottom and just use the herbie method. I.E. Adjust the drain to match the flow. Having a backup drain is important though in case the primary one gets plugged. A big benefit is that the only sound you will hear besides the pump is any distance the water falls at the bottom. (Mine is submerged at the bottom so I don't even hear that)

The 4 bulb should be pretty good, it has individual reflectors and the tank is only 12 inches deep. If I pull the pipe out and adjust the flow it wont make the loud girggling and sucking noise? do you have to adjust it all the time?

What do you guys think about drilling another hole in the overflow just out of the side?

the overflow is kinda small so there isnt alot of options.

Thanks for all the help!

Looking really good man! I am loveing it.

I would recommend just drilling the existing hole out to fit a 1.5" bulkhead. You can even drill out a template piece to guide the blade so that you don't have to worry about the hole getting all mangled from a wobbling hole saw. This would be pleanty of drain power and you would just need to go buy the same pieces to set up a 1.5" version of your current drain.

Sweet stuff! I am excited to see how bright your light is with the new bulbs. It might just convince me to use my 6 bulb over one of my tanks.

If I pull the pipe out and adjust the flow it wont make the loud girggling and sucking noise?

No gurgling or sucking. it is quieter than durso, etc. because they work by limiting the amount of air going through (meaning they do let some through) whereas the herbie method eliminates all of the air. All you need to do is match the drain to the same flow as the return.

do you have to adjust it all the time?

No, Once it's adjusted to the right rate it will generally stay within a couple of inches up or down with the overflow level. If the drain at the bottom is submerged (Making it silient) then you need to be sure it is in an area that will stay at a steady height. Otherwise as the sump level changes the pressure will change requiring it to be adjusted. If you can't get a steady height then I would keep it just above the water rather than submerging it.

What do you guys think about drilling another hole in the overflow just out of the side?

the overflow is kinda small so there isnt alot of options.

I would just make sure the hole is slightly above the normal water level in the box but low enough to drain the system if the main drain ever got plugged. Whether it goes out the bottom or side will not make much difference.