Frostop Rootbeer

USCG CWO

I know this is an odd question but their web page says that they sell it here in Washington and Oregon but I can't find it anywhere. My wife is a sucker for their root beer, but I just can't see ordering it online at $30 for six bottles.

Anyone seen it in a store around here?

Thanks

Shane

Here's the recipe I use. There is also a place on Mill Plain & Grand in Vancouver. Bader Brewing I believe it's called. I went there Sat. & got a 24 gallon food grade plastic bucket with a lid for mixing salt water & they have home made root beer on tap. The guy also set me up with a extract I have not tried before that he says is real close to A&W root beer. I went to this web site & ordered a kit(probably could have gotten it cheaper from some place like Bader, but did not know of them at the time)http://www.leeners.com/rootbeer.html

It's REALLY easy to make. I still want to try making sugar free some time.

New plastic PET soda bottles need to be soaked in a solution of Straight A Cleanser prior to being used the first time. Mix 1 tablespoon of Straight A with one gallon of hot water and submerge the bottles. Let them soak over night. Rinse well with hot water. This will remove the new plastic character that these bottles can impart to your root beer.

Recipe for one gallon. Please read instructions before starting.

# Equipment Mixing Spoon

# 6-8 Quart Sauce Pan

# Kitchen Funnel

# Measuring spoons & cup

# 2-3 gallon Pail

# Unscented Bleach

# A clean one gallon plastic milk jug

# 8-16 oz. PET Beer bottles

# Ingredients 1 Cup White Table Sugar

# 1½ Cup Dark Brown Sugar

# 2 tablespoons Malto Dextrin

# 1 tablespoon Root Beer Extract

# ¼ teaspoon Champagne Yeast

# 1 Gallon of Cold Water

# Clean all equipment with soap and water. Rinse very well.

# Prepare a sanitizing solution in a clean utility pail by mixing 2 teaspoons of unscented bleach with 2 gallons of cold water. Soak all equipment including bottles and caps in this solution for at least 10 minutes. Remove your equipment and rinse it well with hot water.

# Fill a one gallon container with cold water. Now remove 1 cup of water from the jug and discard it. All of the water required for the recipe is now in the gallon container. Measuring the water in this way will save time and prevent you from adding to much or to little water later.

# Place 4 cups of water from the container into a sauce pan and begin to heat it. It is not necessary to bring the water to a boil. Heating this small amount of water will help dissolve the sugars and will make a better soft drink.

# Add the white sugar, brown sugar and malto dextrin to the sauce pan and stir until the sugars are completely dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved turn off the heat.

# Add 1 tablespoon of Root Beer Extract to the sauce pan and stir it in.

# Add the remaining water to the sauce pan and stir well. Check the temperature of the mixture by carefully touching the outside of the pan. It should be cool to slightly warm. It may be necessary to allow the pan to sit covered for a short time in order to cool.

# Open the packet of champagne yeast by cutting off a corner. Measure out ¼ teaspoon of yeast and add it to the sauce pan. Close the yeast packet by folding over the open corner and sealing it with tape. Store the remaining yeast in the refrigerator for the next batch.

# Stir the sauce pan until the yeast is completely dissolved. You are now ready to bottle your root beer.

Bottling the Root Beer

Use a kitchen funnel to fill each bottle. Pour the root beer into the bottles so that there is about 1¼ inch of air space left in the neck of the bottle. Leaving to little air space will cause the root beer to remain flat. Leaving to much air space will cause the root beer to over carbonate and may cause the bottles to gush when opened or even explode. Fill the used plastic soda bottle in the same manner. Seal the bottles tightly and store them for 4 to 7 days at room temperature. This will allow the yeast to eat some of the sugar and carbonate the soft drink. You can check the carbonation by squeezing the plastic soda bottle. When it is hard, the soda is done and must be refrigerated. Allow the bottles to chill for at least 1 week prior to serving. The root beer will improve in flavor with time but it must be stored in the refrigerator.

WARNING: We do not recommend that you use glass bottles for homemade soft drinks because of the risk of injury do to over carbonation.

Ok, Im gona halfto try this!! sounds like a fun project for the kids and the kid in me!(rock2)

There may be exploding?(scary) (wife)(rock2)

Here's the recipe I use. There is also a place on Mill Plain & Grand in Vancouver. Bader Brewing I believe it's called. I went there Sat. & got a 24 gallon food grade plastic bucket with a lid for mixing salt water & they have home made root beer on tap. The guy also set me up with a extract I have not tried before that he says is real close to A&W root beer. I went to this web site & ordered a kit(probably could have gotten it cheaper from some place like Bader' date=' but did not know of them at the time)[url']http://www.leeners.com/rootbeer.html[/url]

It's REALLY easy to make. I still want to try making sugar free some time.

New plastic PET soda bottles need to be soaked in a solution of Straight A Cleanser prior to being used the first time. Mix 1 tablespoon of Straight A with one gallon of hot water and submerge the bottles. Let them soak over night. Rinse well with hot water. This will remove the new plastic character that these bottles can impart to your root beer.

Recipe for one gallon. Please read instructions before starting.

# Equipment Mixing Spoon

# 6-8 Quart Sauce Pan

# Kitchen Funnel

# Measuring spoons & cup

# 2-3 gallon Pail

# Unscented Bleach

# A clean one gallon plastic milk jug

# 8-16 oz. PET Beer bottles

# Ingredients 1 Cup White Table Sugar

# 1½ Cup Dark Brown Sugar

# 2 tablespoons Malto Dextrin

# 1 tablespoon Root Beer Extract

# ¼ teaspoon Champagne Yeast

# 1 Gallon of Cold Water

# Clean all equipment with soap and water. Rinse very well.

# Prepare a sanitizing solution in a clean utility pail by mixing 2 teaspoons of unscented bleach with 2 gallons of cold water. Soak all equipment including bottles and caps in this solution for at least 10 minutes. Remove your equipment and rinse it well with hot water.

# Fill a one gallon container with cold water. Now remove 1 cup of water from the jug and discard it. All of the water required for the recipe is now in the gallon container. Measuring the water in this way will save time and prevent you from adding to much or to little water later.

# Place 4 cups of water from the container into a sauce pan and begin to heat it. It is not necessary to bring the water to a boil. Heating this small amount of water will help dissolve the sugars and will make a better soft drink.

# Add the white sugar, brown sugar and malto dextrin to the sauce pan and stir until the sugars are completely dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved turn off the heat.

# Add 1 tablespoon of Root Beer Extract to the sauce pan and stir it in.

# Add the remaining water to the sauce pan and stir well. Check the temperature of the mixture by carefully touching the outside of the pan. It should be cool to slightly warm. It may be necessary to allow the pan to sit covered for a short time in order to cool.

# Open the packet of champagne yeast by cutting off a corner. Measure out ¼ teaspoon of yeast and add it to the sauce pan. Close the yeast packet by folding over the open corner and sealing it with tape. Store the remaining yeast in the refrigerator for the next batch.

# Stir the sauce pan until the yeast is completely dissolved. You are now ready to bottle your root beer.

Bottling the Root Beer

Use a kitchen funnel to fill each bottle. Pour the root beer into the bottles so that there is about 1¼ inch of air space left in the neck of the bottle. Leaving to little air space will cause the root beer to remain flat. Leaving to much air space will cause the root beer to over carbonate and may cause the bottles to gush when opened or even explode. Fill the used plastic soda bottle in the same manner. Seal the bottles tightly and store them for 4 to 7 days at room temperature. This will allow the yeast to eat some of the sugar and carbonate the soft drink. You can check the carbonation by squeezing the plastic soda bottle. When it is hard, the soda is done and must be refrigerated. Allow the bottles to chill for at least 1 week prior to serving. The root beer will improve in flavor with time but it must be stored in the refrigerator.

WARNING: We do not recommend that you use glass bottles for homemade soft drinks because of the risk of injury do to over carbonation.