4 Day Hunger Strike Successfully Broken

Rick

I picked this beauty up at DJL last friday and was told that it was eating frozen food but started having doubts after a couple of days went by with no interest in food. Last night though it ate a piece of krill after the lights went out. This morning it ate a couple more and even took one right from the top of the tank.(clap) I plan to continue trying to coax it out during the daytime but at least now I know it will eat the frozen foods. Thanks Doug.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5921&stc=1&d=1253442491

attachment.php?attachmentid=5922&stc=1&d=1253442491

Are you too far away from LFS to get Ghost shrimp?

I'm not aware of any that have it around here. I posed this question (or rather brought it back to the top) a few days ago shortly after I got it. There is one shop that has freshwater feeder shrimp but I figured I would see if it would eat frozen first since it was supposed to be adjusted to it already. If it had gone a few more days I would have tried that instead.

FWIW, I tried silversides as well which it just ignored. It ignores the krill as well unless it is moving around the tank. Fortunately my flow is such that there are not many dead spots and the food will move around a good bit before it finds one. Having dealt with hunger strikes before I wasn't really too worried yet. I've had fish that took more than a week to start eating but the average is about 2 days. This one is a bit unique though so I wasn't sure. I'm also hoping I can get it adjusted to frozen and keep it well fed hoping it will continue to ignore the two red fire shrimp. Kind of interesting as the Lionfish, Red Fire Shrimp, and the Niger Trigger all hang out in the same cavernous area.

Success X2!!! Yesterday afternoon it was out in the open a good part of the day and was eating at the same time as the other fish. Basically I would drop a piece of krill into the tank and a few of the other fish would pick at it for a few seconds (clowns, niger trigger, purple tang, etc.) until it dropped near the Lionfish and then it would dart out and snag it. Out if 4 pieces I think it scored 2, the Snowflake Eel 1, and the Niger Trigger 1. If my research is correct then it should start spending more time out in the open as soon as it identifies me with food.