Found plug from air pump in sump!

Ryan

So I was looking in my sump tonight, and noticed a plug from an air pump that I am no longer using fell into my sump. The shinny finish has worn off the prongs, and what looks to be copper is now showing though. It also has spots of rust, so Im sure its been in there for some time now.

3939569317_b0e7788bd3.jpg

This is actually a huge relief to me, cause I have been having problems with my tank over the last few months...I have lost quite a few SPS, and the SPS that are still remaining have lost their color and polyp extension. My LPS & Zoas/pallys have still be thriving though.

Im really hoping the metal in my sump is the cause for my SPS issues...I guess Im lucky I didn't loose more. Time for multiple water changes now to get any remaining metals out.

I guess this is a lesson! If you have a cramped sump/stand with a ton of wires & equipment in it, its worth a look to make sure nothing has falling into it that shouldn't have.

Use a copper removing media. Check with the LFS to see what they have. I think it is called cupri-sorb or something like that.

You may need to use it for a LOOOOOONG time to get all the trace metal out of your tank. You may need to also replace your sand and rock... :( Calcium carbonate absorbs copper and slowly releases it back into the water.

You also may want a second oppinion. Go to RC and get on the chemistry forum there to get a more expert oppinion.

dsoz

You may want to try running a little bit of Seachem Cuprisorb for help removing any stray heavy metals in the water, I am no contractor, so I can't guess what the plating metal was but I would be surprised if there wasn't some copper in there somewhere.

Normally I am not an additive kind of guy, but for metal removal this has proven to be effective in my experience.