eshopps protein skimmers good or bad?

badguitarist

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new protein skimmer for my 40 gallon tank price range under $200 but preferably under $150. I came across these protein skimmers on foster and smith and had never heard of them but the price is right and the video makes it look like they have good foam production, heres a link:

www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+19865&pcatid=19865

What I want to know is has anyone had experience with them and are they good or are they crap! I know from experience that some cheaper skimmers work exceptionally well and some aren't even worth running at all. If anyone has any personal or anectdotal experience that would be great. OR if you know of a better option in that price range in sump or hang on I really dont care as long as its a good skimmer.

Also If anyone has something used laying around that would work for my setup feel free to pm me. Im really open to anything I just want a skimmer that works well.

Thanks,

Kyle

I AM USING ONE OF THOSE RIGHT NOW

I picked up the PSK 75H from Upscales about 1 1/2 now. For the price i like them but its a pain to get then started. So far I am happy with it. No the best but it pulls some dark stuff out of my 24G I have. For the price its a nice skimmer. I will take some pictures of it working tonight for you.

Rose city has then cheap.

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new protein skimmer for my 40 gallon tank price range under $200 but preferably under $150. I came across these protein skimmers on foster and smith and had never heard of them but the price is right and the video makes it look like they have good foam production, heres a link:

www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4392+19865&pcatid=19865

What I want to know is has anyone had experience with them and are they good or are they crap! I know from experience that some cheaper skimmers work exceptionally well and some aren't even worth running at all. If anyone has any personal or anectdotal experience that would be great. OR if you know of a better option in that price range in sump or hang on I really dont care as long as its a good skimmer.

Also If anyone has something used laying around that would work for my setup feel free to pm me. Im really open to anything I just want a skimmer that works well.

Thanks,

Kyle

thanks guys just for what its worth it doesnt have to be hang on i dont care what it is as long as it works. I am actually switching from an aquaC remora that I've had for about 8 years Personally I never liked it. Some of the best skimmers Ive run have been cheaper ones that have had needle wheel pumps put on them. I gotta pass up anything thats hard to start as I like things that are reliable not to mention being hard to start means i'll never clean the dang thing.

Thanks for the input,

Kyle

Mike nice to hear from you I figured youd pop in with some smart *** coment I might get that skimmer yet I just gotta get dale drunk so he gives me a good price!

Claythesavagefraser

as far as the old one I dunno I might keep it, it just needs one small peice to work. but if not I'll keep you in mind, maybe trade for some ink? I dunno it does have the mag drive pump with it I'm sure itd be cheap to fix I just figured I may as well try a new skimmer as I haven't been very impressed with my remora at all.

oops never mind. Mine isn't a hang on skimmer. I personally would avoid that skimmer and try to find an aquac remora skimmer. If you look for an Aqua C' date=' then make sure to get the mag drive pump instead of the Rio.[/quote']

If you want a hang on skimmer...I agree the remoras are good ones. Much better then that el cheapo looking china special.

Guest Snorkelwasp

lol read the whole thread...it doesnt NEED to be hang on...just NEEDS to be under 150. and he already has a remora and it sucks (with mag drive), hence the change.