fan question

gopens

well now that i have my MH's i have noticed that it does raise my water temp above normal level. i have 2 fans i want to install. the box says to drill a hole on the side of your canopy, and install them on each side (i have 2 fans). i don't want to ruin the look of my canopy by drilling holes on the sides. i was thinking of installing them on the top of the canopy, facing down, blowing the room air into the canopy. would this work or am i stuck ruining my hood. or is there any other ideas. here are the pics of the fans and the canopy. thanks

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0414.jpg

Being as the back of your canopy is open, i would simply insytall them hanging down on the back somewhere..blowing in so they dont get salted so much. The back of your canopy will provide plenty of space for the air to escape. Another thing you can do is simply drill a few 4-6" holes in the top of your canopy for heat to simply rise through. If you are having just minor heat issues one or both of these things should keep it at bay enough to not have to look into a chiller

lol, it seems that i am going to have to put fly guy and ccr on some form of a payroll. but honestly thanks fly guy for all your help. with that being said. my tank is pretty close to the wall. there might only be a few inches back there. is that enough space for the fans to work to the fullest. i might try both. put the fans in the back and a few holes on top. i am going to try to saty away from a chiller as much as possible. not for the money reasons. but because i have already run out of plug opening. i already have all my fish stuff and all my t.v, xbox 360, dvd player and much more coming off of a the outlet. and moving things is not an option...

How high are your lights off of the water and how much do you think they are adding tempwise at the peak of the day????

It doesnt take much space for the fans to help, and the holes in the top of the canopy along with them should do the trick. I would actually recommend wiring the fans off of your vho'sif you are still planning on adding them...then the fans will just automatically come on with the vho's.

You have a lip on the back of your hood. / Mount fans on inside of lip, between the socket and end of outer reflector, same on both sides, blowing in; this will cool things down substantially , DO NOT wire the fan into your lights, BOX says DC lights are AC

VHO are AC?

You have a lip on the back of your hood. / Mount fans on inside of lip, between the socket and end of outer reflector, same on both sides, blowing in; this will cool things down substantially , DO NOT wire the fan into your lights, BOX says DC lights are AC

VHO are AC?

Im no electrician. I just called my Dad and left a message to see how he did it. He not only built me these incredible reef power supplies that each have their own breaker in the house main along with switches for each and every piece of equipment........he somehow has my fans running along with the ballasts. My fans are DC as well, and now that you say that CCR......im confused myself.......i know it can be done as thats how it is set up on mine........i just dont know how he did it.......if anyone else knows please chime in......hes out of town and wont get back to me until tomorrow. ;)

YOu can buy AC fans as well,, those ones happen to be DC. I like the AC fans for that reason, just plug em into your timer (or whatever) and you dont have to deal with one of those big transformer boxes that takes up 3 outlets in a power strip.

VHO ARE AC.

I mounted lights in my old tank out the top of the canopy, it made a neat little strobe show on the ceiling..... (see dictionary for SARCASM)...

I ended making these acrylic scoops that shot the air to the side once it came out the top, this blocked the light.

I vote for the back like the other guys.