which glue is better?

jason7504

I just use the CA gel from the dollar store. There are a couple of tricks to it though. First is that it will not stay if you put it over a film of algae so you really need to scrub both surfaces to get the film off them. Water causes it to set up but that doesn't help much when the surfaces don't stick. Also try to have a spot where the glue will dry such that it will hold the frag in place even if the surface separates. I.E. Down inside a hole where the glue forms to the hole itself. Also try to glue it outside of the water. If you glue it inside the water then the glue forms a film around it too fast and you need to break this film open before it will stick. It can be done but it is harder to do that way.

I have tried many different kinds and have found many that work quite well. I agree, the stuff from BRS works pretty well. I also like the superglue gel from the $ tree as I can get it when ever I run out. I usually keep 15 or so tubes in a bag in the fridge so that they stay nice and thick. Glueing under water is tricky but definately doable.

-Use a tooth brush or the like to scrub down the spot you wan the frag to be.

-Apply super glue gel generously to the bottom of the frag.

-Place the frag on the spot that you wanted and sort of work it around until the crust of the super glue breaks and you have a bit of glue on the rock.

-Remove the frag and add another glob of glue.

-Place the frag back on the spot that you want it and twist/scrape until you feel it firmly grasp the pot.

-Hold in place until you can let go with the frag firmly in place and there is minimal chance of the frag moving.

Garrett

this is the process i use. It's simple and no fuss. apply

locktite superglue gel to frag...

apply epoxy to frag (i use aquamend from home depot)

apply glue to epoxy

stick.

No fuss...no muss. Frags stay in place with the glue (which from FW experience I know wears away over time) and keeps the frag perfectly positioned until the epoxy hardens.

BTW... Aquamend is the same stuff as Holdfast.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148730

yeah ive been using the dollar store glue but yeah its hard to get it to stick' date=' is there a better glue that sticks easier? does the BRS adhere better?[/quote']

I have never used dollar store glue but I would be pretty sure it is better. I have never had a problem getting my frags to stay and you get a really big bottle too.

If you want to make it super easy, there is stuff (the name escapes me right now) That will dry the glue instantly. It's actually identical to the oils we have in our skin (that's why it's so easy to glue your fingers together).

You can't use it on the coral but you can use it on the frag rock and it works very well. I am sure someone will chime in with what it is called.

I get my superglue gel in big bottles at the RC hobby shop. Teds on interstate has it as well as the hobby shops in vancouver. I also use aquamend putty from home depo/ This is more stable as the frags dont break off like super glue. Nothing worse then attaching your new frag to the top of your reef and the next day some fish or invert has knocked it loose and is lost forever in between the liverock somewhere. Aquamend you wont have this problem but its white and is a putty so it will take longer for the coral to encrust over but it will in time.

Jay

this is the process i use. It's simple and no fuss. apply

locktite superglue gel to frag...

apply epoxy to frag (i use aquamend from home depot)

apply glue to epoxy

stick.

No fuss...no muss. Frags stay in place with the glue (which from FW experience I know wears away over time) and keeps the frag perfectly positioned until the epoxy hardens.

BTW... Aquamend is the same stuff as Holdfast.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148730

I agree,,, both together for sticky, solid frag keeper-therer FTW.