How do I care for brine shrimp?

Hog Head

I am working the Albany local switcher for a couple of weeks so I sought out an LFS and I found Albany's Amazing Aquarium. Today I decided to get some cleaners and a couple of fire scallops. They gave me a bag of brine shrimp which is way more than a weeks worth of food. How do I take care of them? What do they need other than water, light, food and an air wand?

Thanks, Gene

If it is the live brine I have gotten in the past for fish food, an airstone is helpful but I do dnot know of keeping them long term, the water gets nasty and polluted-I would suggest calling the store who gave them to you and see what they suggest.

Most live brine I got in the past did not last more than a week , and when I bought them the were just kept in the store in a rubbermaid type tote with an airstone.

I dont recall exactly what I read or heard-as it was LONG ago, but it was to stay away from the live brine, had to do with sickness, parasites or something-I mention this only so you can do research, that was 15 years ago.

Found this

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Berg_Growing_Shrimp.html

· Feeding: brine shrimp are not hard to feed. They accept most food they can filter out of the water as long as it's not too big and doesn't dissolve in water. There is brine shrimp food available in pet stores, containing micro-algae for the nauplii to eat. There are, however, quite a few cheaper alternatives that you can buy in your regular grocery store; for example yeast, wheat flour, soybean powder and egg yolk. It's hard to know how much to feed the nauplii, but the transparency of the water can be of help. During the first weeks you should be able to see about 15 cm into the water. When the nauplii grow, the food concentration should be kept a little lower, and a water transparency of 25 cm is recommended. Food levels should be kept constant, so frequent feedings are required.

· Aquarium maintenance: Brine shrimp are usually kept in small tanks, and therefore water quality may deteriorate quickly. Water changes are of utmost importance. I recommend changing at least 20% two times a week. This is to prevent low oxygen levels which will be a result of poor water quality. It's also important to clean the bottom of the tank since brine shrimp moult very often during their way to adulthood, leaving a lot of remains on the bottom of the tank which may lower the water quality. Cleaning should be done at night using a flashlight to draw the brine shrimp to the surface. Brine shrimp are drawn to light, and the light from the flashlight will attract them to the light source, keeping them safe while you clean the bottom of the tank.

Breeding brine shrimp

If well cared for and kept in a low salinity, your adult brine shrimp will (or might) spawn in your aquarium. Every adult female is capable of producing 75 nauplii a day, or 300 every 4 days. They will be able to spawn 10 times during a normal lifespan. However if well cared for they can, as I stated earlier, live for as long as 3 months and during that entire time spawn every 4 days.

Found this

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Berg_Growing_Shrimp.html

· Feeding: brine shrimp are not hard to feed. They accept most food they can filter out of the water as long as it's not too big and doesn't dissolve in water. There is brine shrimp food available in pet stores, containing micro-algae for the nauplii to eat. There are, however, quite a few cheaper alternatives that you can buy in your regular grocery store; for example yeast, wheat flour, soybean powder and egg yolk. It's hard to know how much to feed the nauplii, but the transparency of the water can be of help. During the first weeks you should be able to see about 15 cm into the water. When the nauplii grow, the food concentration should be kept a little lower, and a water transparency of 25 cm is recommended. Food levels should be kept constant, so frequent feedings are required.

· Aquarium maintenance: Brine shrimp are usually kept in small tanks, and therefore water quality may deteriorate quickly. Water changes are of utmost importance. I recommend changing at least 20% two times a week. This is to prevent low oxygen levels which will be a result of poor water quality. It's also important to clean the bottom of the tank since brine shrimp moult very often during their way to adulthood, leaving a lot of remains on the bottom of the tank which may lower the water quality. Cleaning should be done at night using a flashlight to draw the brine shrimp to the surface. Brine shrimp are drawn to light, and the light from the flashlight will attract them to the light source, keeping them safe while you clean the bottom of the tank.

Breeding brine shrimp

If well cared for and kept in a low salinity, your adult brine shrimp will (or might) spawn in your aquarium. Every adult female is capable of producing 75 nauplii a day, or 300 every 4 days. They will be able to spawn 10 times during a normal lifespan. However if well cared for they can, as I stated earlier, live for as long as 3 months and during that entire time spawn every 4 days.

Thanks for the info! I think I found the same page, but you condensed it down quite a bit. They are in a 10g now with airstones going. The LFS said to feed egg yolk so that is covered.

Thanks again.

NP! Let me know how it goes. My fish sure love brine shrimp!

My fish went nuts as soon as I put them in there. I put some in my FW planted tank and had the same results except with more movement. I have alot of small fish in there and it looked like a bunch of sharks in a feeding frenzy.

Anyone have any luck setting up a hatchery that goes directly into your tank? I saw a system that appeared to hang on your tank and was set up so that the baby brine would swim out into your tank when they hatched. I'm interested in trying this, but would like to hear about other people's results before spending any cash.