Did these become valuable?

JasonH

http://www.liveaquaria.com/DiversDen/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+5&ddid=69051

Cinnamon.jpg

I bought some of these from LiveAquaria when I first set my tank. I ordered some things and I think I actually added these to the order to get the value over a certain amount for free shipping.

When I bought them they were like $19.99 - cheap. I don't think they are attractive at all - they are interesting because the polyps are huge. I gave a small handful to Dennis for the TfT program as an afterthought when I gave him the Duncans.

They still aren't valuable to me, but it was funny to see them selling for $80 now (for several polyps).

I'm curious whether anyone is buying them for that price. They always made me think of when movie or TV sets are built extra big to make adults look like kids - that type of "forced perspective." They make other things look small by comparison. They are interesting, but certainly not what I would call attractive - they're just plain brown.

Glad to hear that the Duncans are doing well.

Palythoa Grandis are semi rare and can sometimes look pretty nice but those are plain ugly. For people who have not seen these in person the polyps grow to about the size of a silver dollar. I have seen a nicer color morph in a nano display that were quite a stunning .

Looks the same to me. I can't tell scale - is that a frag disc to the right? Plain and brown - that's what mine look like.

I wish there were some really colorful versions. They grow very slowly, and would be easy to remove if they started to encroach on other corals. My big gripe about zoas is that they grow out of control and climb onto other corals. I don't have that problem with these, but they just aren't very attractive. I'm sure I'll just get rid of them at some point.