Lighting Question for Carpet Anemone

Jay

Hello:

I have a Blue Carpet nem and I want to know if 4 110 watt URI VHO bulbs will be sufficient to keep it thriving long term? I have 2 super actinic and 2 actinic white (daylight 12000k) bulbs 110 watt over this 55 gallon tank 12 hour photo period.

Jay

post-199-141867765242_thumb.jpg

there have been people who have maintained haddoni carpet anemones in lower lighting long term. mertens and gigantaes are the real light loving carpets. however, youll probably find your blue coloration will hold better under more intense lighting, as the color essentially is the anemones way of defending itself....ie like skin tanning in humans. you may find the anemone leaving the sand and heading up on rocks, or stretching out to a greater extent. all symptoms of the anemone striving for more light absorption. i would definetely suggest going as bright as you can, and halides would only help your anemone do better long term.

Ok yes I agree but, I also got a green carpet nem at the same time. It is really big and was nice and green in the other guys tank b4 I bought it. I added both my new nems to my 55 gallon established tank with 250 watt halides XM 10000k plus 2 65 watt PC actinic. That green one shrinks way up when I turn on the halides and every once in a while it will shudder like its being burned. Well I called Woody ( Im sure you all know him from Seahorse off of Columbia in Portland ) and told him about this and he said that the 250 watters were probably too much for him. He recomended I turn down my photo period to 6 hours a day instead of 10. Well I kep SPS so that doesnt fly. So I fashoned a sort of shield from cardboard with some 1/2 inch square holes cut into it to sort of tune down the lights. What do you think of this? Goes against everything ive read about them. He has lost some of his nice green hue and turned more brown. He has got some of the green back now but still shrivels down about 1.5 inches smaller when I remove the light sheild. I have been cutting bigger and bigger holes in it every 2 days to try to acclimate him but as I do he gets a little smaller each time. Go figure?

have moved the Blue one to my LPS tank with the VHO lighting and continue feeding it. It has grown a little this past 2 weeks in there.

(scratch) big time DOH!

Jay

I call BS on Woody, I like the guy and Im not bashing him, but I totally disagree. He also believes halides are too much for mushrooms, well Ive got a 250 less than 12 inches from mushrooms and they open huge and "soak it up". NO matter what the wattage, its still nothing compared to sunlight.

I would guess something else is going on causeing the problem, I dont think a sunshade or reduced photo period is your answer. JMO.

joel