I am needing a smoker

Jay

I know there is someone out there that has a descent smoker that they dont use. Sell me one for a good cheap/free price and get some smoked steelhead in return. I prefer a electric or propane.

I just hate to pay big bucks for a new smoker when I know so many go unused in someones basement.

Let me know.... I also have corals and equipment I may trade for one.

Jay

Hey Jay,

I have a Little Chief that you are welcome to have. It's in pretty good shape, even has a new tray for the chips. It's yours if you want it. I'd like to take you up on your offer of showing your fishing technique sometime. Maybe we could hook up this week and you show me your secret, and I'll turn you on to the smoker. LMK

Scott

Hey Jay,

I have a Little Chief that you are welcome to have. It's in pretty good shape, even has a new tray for the chips. It's yours if you want it. I'd like to take you up on your offer of showing your fishing technique sometime. Maybe we could hook up this week and you show me your secret, and I'll turn you on to the smoker. LMK

Scott

Well...I am going to Fish on Wed early early in the am. The tide starts running at like 2am and I will be leaveing my house at 4:30- - 4:45 am for Kalama area. If you want to go let me know and be here when I leave and you can ride with me up there and fish till the tide is done (probably be back by 11:30 or so ).

I am going this morning with a friend on his new boat. I have surgery on Friday and will be out of commision for only a few weeks hopefully.

Jay

Had a great week fishing, landed about 12 Salmon (Silvers) and had 5 keepers and 13 total I took home and smoked on the smoker. Also landed 2 Blue sharks (one 6 foot and the other around 8 foot) also one of the guys caught an opa and we also did some Rock fishing. Took home about 60 crabs out of the 300 dispersed for the group!

Had a great week fishing' date=' landed about 12 Salmon (Silvers) and had 5 keepers and 13 total I took home and smoked on the smoker. Also landed 2 Blue sharks (one 6 foot and the other around 8 foot) also one of the guys caught an opa and we also did some Rock fishing. Took home about 60 crabs out of the 300 dispersed for the group![/quote']

Where was this at???? Be careful what you post(scratch).OFW Limits(scary) .... Just a though

Where was this at???? Be careful what you post(scratch).OFW Limits(scary) .... Just a though

I was well within legal limits (I was there most the week), we are allowed 2 silvers a day per person and 12 crab per person per day. I was out about 8 miles west of Columbia river mouth (seaside) Kids caught the rockfish and hurled there guts out from sea sickness, it was a great time. I have some videos of reeling in one of the shark and a pic of it. When I get it from the person filming I may post....

Nope, I was not expecting to have such a good week and we did not have the cooler space for him, as it was we ended up garbage bagging a lot of it and throwing ice in to get home. I think we ended up buying 30 bags of ice....

Nope' date=' I was not expecting to have such a good week and we did not have the cooler space for him, as it was we ended up garbage bagging a lot of it and throwing ice in to get home. I think we ended up buying 30 bags of ice....[/quote']

Nice haul. That much seafood will actually help supplement your grocery bill.

Jay

Nyles...I got this one craigslist... Its a pretty big one. Has 5 racks and is all stainless steel. It is homemade but the guy is a sheet metal worker and did a excelent job. Came with a new hot plate too.

I would love some recipes if you have some in electronic format. I have about 5 steelhead to smoke. With this smoker I can do 2 turkeys at a time...(naughty)

I easyoff oven cleanered the racks and they came out sparkling. I hosed out the smoker and cleaned the bottom with a wire brush. It had green mold in the bottom ( YUK ) but its cleaned now. I think I will run some smoke through it just to season it again before I do the fish. I need to mount a thermometer on it and see how it holds the temp. Its bigger then it looks in the picture. These are the pics from craigslist.

Im pretty fired up now to smoke something ( not the green stuff...hehe ). Have tried the wet brine as opposed to the dry brine for smokeing fish? I know you can do it either way. I have been reading and know about letting it sit and develope the sheen on the fish for a few hours before smokeing. I think thats where my uncle went wrong when he did his trout.

Jay

attachment.php?attachmentid=5655&stc=1&d=1251033499

attachment.php?attachmentid=5656&stc=1&d=1251033499

post-199-141867747818_thumb.jpg

post-199-141867747819_thumb.jpg

message me your email and I can throw you some recipes. This is the one for salmon I use. I do not use the basting section, I sinply smoke my fish complete and let cool hen I add the glaze cold as it will be very nice and thick. For Maple syrup I use Mrs butterworths as I like the flavor more that Premium maple syrup for this recipe.

As a side note after an hour of smoking make sure you wipe the sweat from the fish and keep an eye on sweating.

Maple Glaze for Salmon

1 cup pure maple syrup

2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot

4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

Fresh ground pepper to taste

In a small heavy saucepan simmer maple syrup, gingerroot, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, lemon zest and pepper to taste until reduced to about 1 cup, about 30 minutes, and let cool. (Maple glaze may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring maple glaze to room temperature before proceeding.)

In another small saucepan heat half of glaze over low heat until heated through to use as a sauce. Stir in remaining tablespoon lemon juice. Remove pan from heat and keep sauce warm, covered.

NOTE: If you simmer the glaze for the full 30 minutes it will be more of a basting sauce. To use as a mop, divide the glaze into two equal portions after simmering for 5 - 10 minutes (long enough for the flavors to meld together). Simmer the second portion for the remaining 20 minutes and then add the last teaspoon of lemon juice. Serve as a side sauce.

The original recipe listed "Salt to taste". Since this recipe also contains soy sauce I omitted the salt altogether and replace the soy sauce with a "Low Sodium" Soy sauce.