What's this junk on my zoas?

Dego Red

No idea what this mystery substance is. It showed up one day about a week ago out of nowhere. This small colony was growing like a weed previously with nice, deep color but it's too soon to say if this stuff has hurt them at all. I did notice that my inner polyps were fading a bit, but not much.

Thoughts?

zoas.jpg

looks to me like it could be either a mold or a sponge. Is it slimy and smells like death (mold)? or more soft and spongey with small holes all over (sponge)?

If it is a mold, then it could because the polyps are dying. Try a coral dip like lugols iodine or TMPCC.

If it is a sponge, it could be invading the colony. Use a soft tooth brush to scrape it out from in between the polyps. Do in a separate bucket of water so you don't spread the sponge all over your tank.

dsoz

Thanks, guys. My money is on a sponge, since that colony was/is very healthy. It has two little "spouts" at the top as well - can be seen right in-line/above the two closed polyps in the center.

The only problem now is, those guys have already been growing into the holes in the rock and are not going to want to come out. But if IIRC, there's nothing else on that rock, so I might be able to pull the whole thing out. Wish me luck!

You know I had a lot of that on one of my frags growing and I was a little nervous too. I figured sponge is a good sign and left it alone. 3 months later the zoa's have over taken that rock, sponge included, and are doing great. I dont know if the sponge is still alive or not, just thought I would share. Also, I don't know if what you have is the same that I had.