Maroon Clown is fanning the sand?

Hog Head

Here is another thread from recently covering the same thing:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13636

I'm pretty sure it is trying to clean an area for laying eggs. You might try putting a clay pot in there so it can find a clean surface.

Now she is the only MC in the tank. Will she still try to lay eggs without a mate? She/he is about 3" long.

I had one' date=' not a pair and he did this to try to intimidate you. He would grab the sand in his mouth and swim at you then spit it at you also. He really was a nice fish though I swear![/quote']

Mine seems to be a pretty nice fish also. He definitely lets you know when it is time to eat. He will hover and follow your movements, always keeping an eye on you until you feed him. He is one of the families favorite fish.

Your maroon clown is a female and she is house keeping which includes fanning sand and mouthing rocks and sand to keep an area clear. It is not for egg laying but keeping hosted creature--anemone, etc, free of debris.

We know it is female as there is only one in your tank...clownfish can change sex...singles become females...(wife)

DrMerle

Your maroon clown is a female and she is house keeping which includes fanning sand and mouthing rocks and sand to keep an area clear. It is not for egg laying but keeping hosted creature--anemone, etc, free of debris.

We know it is female as there is only one in your tank...clownfish can change sex...singles become females...(wife)

DrMerle

Wow! Clown fish are hermaphrodites! I googled it and I was very suprised at what I read. It is some pretty neat stuff. I knew some amphib's and reptiles could do it, but I had no clue that fish could also. I love this hobby.

She is hosting Xenia on the glass at the back top left of the tank and is fanning the sand in the front left portion of the tank. So it does not matter about the location then? She is just doing what she thinks she needs to do?

I haven't gotten a clay pot yet for mine ...and I have a Pair ....I did add some medium rocks to the area and that slowed her down.....I have a small GBTA and she is mouthing it alot....trying to get it to move elsewhere I think. her stirring the sand is making a mess in the tank ....sand particle all over ......the clay pot is next to try this weekend ...I hope it works...for her sake !!

Here ya go......

attachment.php?attachmentid=5562&stc=1&d=1250143805

Note: I actually have 2 clay pots in this tank. One has the RBTA in it and the other doesn't have anything. They tend to spend more time in the one with the RBTA however it is not unusual to see them in the other one either.

post-5811-141867747675_thumb.jpg

Here ya go......

attachment.php?attachmentid=5562&stc=1&d=1250143805

Note: I actually have 2 clay pots in this tank. One has the RBTA in it and the other doesn't have anything. They tend to spend more time in the one with the RBTA however it is not unusual to see them in the other one either.

Does your RBTA get enough light inside the pot?

Does your RBTA get enough light inside the pot?

Yes, It's been in there for a couple of weeks now. (250w MH over it) The pot is tilted back just slightly to allow a little more light to get in. If it didn't get enough then it would move out until it found a spot where it was getting enough.

Yes' date=' It's been in there for a couple of weeks now. (250w MH over it) The pot is tilted back just slightly to allow a little more light to get in. If it didn't get enough then it would move out until it found a spot where it was getting enough.[/quote']

I realized that after I sent the post.DOH!