Peppermint Shrimp a polyp nipper?

JasonH

I've never heard of this, but by BoP Birdnest (which is gorgeous, thanks Bob) started looking bad - had bare patches where it was missing polyps, had some tissue damage, but didn't look anything like RTN.

I was worried about parasites like red bug, but I douple dip every new coral in Coral Revive and Interceptor. I took some macro pics and zoomed in - couldn't see anything. So, like any good reefer, I waited until late at night and sneaked in to check out the tank.

One of my peppermint shrimp was perched on the coral and certainly looked to be picking at it. So, I immediately take the (censored) out. Just a couple days later and the BoP is looking better and it's starting to regrow some polyps.

So, just a coincidence? Maybe something hurt the coral and I just happened to wander in as the peppermint was standing on it? I'm fighting some Phosphates - enough to cause some color loss, but not tissue loss.

Thoughts?

Peppermint shrimp are supposed to eat aptasia. If the the shrimp is hungry, corals are not far removed from aptasia anemones.

Maybe you should try feeding your shrimp more to fatten it up. Then heat up the butter for the day that you catch it... Shrimp is on the menu!

dsoz

• Like 1

Peppermint shrimp are supposed to eat aptasia. If the the shrimp is hungry' date=' corals are not far removed from aptasia anemones.[/quote']

Excellent point, Dennis. I think I feed the tank pretty well. but now that you mention it - that week I was working very late and tended to get home after the lights went out. There were definitely a couple days in there that the tank didn't get fed.

The night I finally caught him, I did feed the tank. But it certainly could have been that he was hungry.

Thankfully, he's already out of the tank - those guys are easy to catch. I figure it's like Grizzly bears - once they have tasted human flesh (or polyps), they're man (polyp) eaters for life - and must be dealt with.

I figure it's like Grizzly bears - once they have tasted human flesh (or polyps)' date=' they're man (polyp) eaters for life - and must be dealt with.[/quote']

(agree)

I had 2 peppermint shrimp that developed a taste for Duncans. Didnt matter how well I kept them fed, they would jump all over the Duncans at any opportunity. They are definately hard little buggers to catch.

I had 5 at the time. Got the first one out like that. 2nd one got smarter, but eventally netted it. Third one was caught the next day. Took me almost 3 weeks to get the last 2 out. They were working as a team to distract me. I finally got them out with a pop bottle trap, but I had to bait it and stay up all night. (laugh)

I think most reefers keep shrimp like skunk, peppermint and fire shrimp and assume that they will scrounge for their food. In reality you should directly feed them raw seafood at least twice a week to ensure they are getting enough to eat.

If not you get ether early deaths of the shrimp or they find something to feed themselves like your corals.