MedRed's 5.5 Gallon ADA Mini M Pico

MedRed

I've been scheming to break down my little 5.5 gallon FW tank and turn it into a softie tank.

2q9dtfb.jpg

It has begun!

t6cwhu.jpg

2h74byq.jpg

I already have the other rock that will go in this tank, but I'm currently in the process of killing of the aggressive, encrusting coral that's on it. Just soaked that sucker in pure hydrogen peroxide, and now i'm going to leave it outside to dry for a few days.

Equipment:

5.5 Gallon Aqua Design Amano Mini M

ADA Solar Mini M w/ 18 watt 460nm/10,000K PC

Hydor ETH 200 Inline Heater

Ecco 2232 Canister Filter

Do!Aqua and ADA Lily Pipe Inlet and Outlets

Filtration: I went back and forth on an Aqua clear or deco art HOB. I didn't want a big filter being visible behind the tank, and I didn't think the Deco Art would be powerful enough... So I decided to use my existing Eheim Ecco 2232 canister (rated for 35 gallons and 127 gph). I think this will be a fantastic option as it will allow me to use my lily pipes for inconspicuous filtration. I also have a Hydor ETH 200 plumbed inline so that I don't have to add an internal heater. I was planning on using a left over 50 watt heater. I'm only using the coarse filter sponge, the carbon pad, and a container filled with live rock rubble. I will forgo the fine filter pad for now. My weekly water changes will be super easy as i'll just quick disconnect the filter, pull the containers out (they lock together as one unit), pour the water in it down the toliet, and dunk the canister into the SW bucket to fill it back up.

Flow:I have a koralia nano i won at a local SW conference. I'm going to let the filter provide the flow for now.

Lighting:

My one gripe is that the light fixture isn't long enough to allow for a longer bulb. I can only fit a 9-10" bulb when the tank is 12" long. Frustrating! I'm having to settle for reduced power with an 18 watt 50/50 instead of a higher powered 27-32 watt bulb. if i went without the actinic, there are 27 watt bulbs that fit the fixture. I've seen a 70 Watt MH retro into one of these light fixtures... I may have to think about that.

Awesome stuff! Congratulations on the conversion. It already looks better and it only has one rock in it!(just playin) I think this will be a pretty sweet tank. If you do the 70w hqi conversion you will need to have a pretty powerful little fan to get the heat away from the tank. I totally think it is doable without a chiller but it could get a bit nasty in the hot parts of summer. I would think that the light you have on it would be ok for mushrooms and some leathers. Anything else and I would at least double it if it were me.

Nice start!

you guys are too much! I'm only adding softies to this tank at this point. I'm not sure what i'll do live stock wise with this tank. I was planning a goby/shrimp pairing, but I've read recently how it's a bad idea for a smaller tank as the shrimp will pile up a huge amount of sand. we'll see. The big tank is looming over my future.

Thank you... I'm still trying to figure out livestock. I really need tiny fish to keep the scale. I just hate anything that looks too big or isn't sedentary. My clownfish in my 34 gallon make me nervous because they aren't hosting. I feel the tank is too small for them if they are going to swim around all over the place.

I'm trying to do something interesting for the tank. Maybe barnacle blennies?

i have dubbed this tank "The Theatre." The big rock in the back reminds me of a back drop... and the two smaller rocks to either side are stage props. My goal is to keep as much water volume in the tank as possible. I already know evaporation can be a mother in this tank. The more water... the better I can address such issues.

r9pn9s.jpg

2s964pw.jpg

wunq7q.jpg

I may try for a few different color morphs or star polyps for the back wall. I'm not sure what variety of xenia I'm going to want to add. I should be able to isolate it to one rock. I'm thinking some blue clove polyps sound good too. as for livestock? who knows?