PCI rps 2000 mesh mod?

lancecobb1

Yes, I have meshed modded a few impellers. I definitely think it is worth doing. There are a variety of ways to do it. I originally started out using enkamat and tied down 3 layers with fishing line, not zip ties. I then got the bright idea of using thick nylon suture without the enkamat and "weaving" 2 feet of nylon onto my impeller.

I have since upgraded from a Coralife Superskimmer to a MSX200, which comes with a modded impeller.

DrMerle(rock2)

I was courious about this also, is the mesh being applied to a basic impeller or to a needle wheel. I ordered a new wheel from Pacific coast for my skimmer without looking at the one I had when I gave him the model he said it had a basic impeller when it arrived I took down the skimmer (euro reef) and it already had the needle type impeller, I swapped it out anyway and then drilled my air intake out a little seems to work alot better

Are there other ways to "mod" a skimmer I'm always reading about?

You my friend, are my hero for the day.....

I happened to have an extra pump here to fit my small coralife skimmer on the 40 Gallon tank I set up a week or two back. I haven't been happy with either skimmer I used on this as it just didn't seem to be putting out enough foam. Nowhere near enough skimmate IMO either. I grabbed a mesh filter block I had here and shaved about 1/4" off the end. This I literally just laid over the needle wheel and wrapped it around onto the back. Then I used some heavy polyester thread to hold it on the needle wheel wrapping the thread around the needle wheel several times. I had to trim a little of the mesh back a couple of times to get the pump to start working but once I did the results were apparent immediately. I had to lower the water level about an inch as it is putting out a lot more foam now.

Thank you very much for posting this question.

WOW. In less than 2 hours the skimmer has pulled as much skimmate off as it did over the last 2 days and it is nastier looking stuff as well. I may need to try this on the big skimmer on my other tank. (Although I think it already does a pretty good job)

Try and find some where the strands are all attached to each other. This should keep it from disappearing as fast. I thought about maybe scotchbright pads but I'm not sure if the strands are interconnected on them. Perhaps a buffing pad for a drill or something.

Aha, I'll go look in the garage and see if I can find the scotchbright pads for my die grinder. They hold together at 20,000 RPM's so I think they might work for this.

Scratch that idea. They have some kind of glue bonding them together. Not knowing what it is made of I'm not willing to risk using them.