Tank size for Tang

grassi

We're trying to plan out our stocking plan for the new tank. It's a 65 gallon TruVu that's 56" long. Since it's a reef tank I can't get some of the others I love, but I'm really digging the Tangs now! (naughty)

I know that most places say you need 100 gallons for a Tang, but I also read that you can keep in a smaller tank as long as it's about 5 feet long because it's the horizontal swimming space that's important. Is this true?

keep small ones and if you have more than one get ones that are not similar in color.

I have a yellow tang, a scopas tang and a blue hippo tang in my 75 and they are all happy together. Once they get big I will probably have to find new homes for them but at the rate I feed that will take a while.

I think I would keep it to one in the tank and get a smaller one. Also try to make it the last fish you put in there unless you have something else more aggressive that will go in. I think the biggest issue is that they normally have very large areas of the reef that they claim (Much bigger than our home aquariums) and once they establish an area as theirs they have a hard time sharing.

if your looki.g for more of a clean up tang, I think for a smaller tank you can't go wrong with a small yellow eyed kole tang. If you want something pretty and you have a fair amount of flow I think a blue hippo tang is a great way to go. They are very personable(I could almost pick mine up out of the water) and hilarious to watch. They like to exercise in front of powerheads too. Either one would be great if you got a small one and both are redily available at many stores in small sizes.

Thanks for the really detailed advise Snowpunk!

I'm really interested in the Naso Tangs after looking around... I like the funny looking fish.. If only I could have an Angler and Trigger! hehe

I like naso's a lot too but I think they get fairly large. If you got one small enough I guess it would still be good for a while, but I haven't seen a small one before. May have to ask Nick at Rose City, I've seen some Naso's there I believe.

I love the odd looking fish. I had a horned cowfish for a liong time until the intake caught him one day. Everyone says they'll poison the tank but had no such issue. My local pet shop here has a really cool angler that they tried to sell me(they don't know enough about saltwater to sell it) but it would be a bad move. My favorite tang of all is the Achilles Tang by far but they are hard to come by and are pretty expensive, and need a lot more room then most too. Some others that can be found small are sailfins(sometimes. Red sea are the best(clap)) on occasion purple tangs and clown tangs too(they kinda act like a blue from what I hear).