going to the Steinhart Aquarium in san francisco on the 4th

kev311

Well this should be cool, they are in a brand new building and i am pretty stoked about going, last time i went they were in a temporary facility while this new building was being built so it should be cool to see their permanent home. (rock2)

Just got back from Steinhart on Sunday...mixed feelings on the trip there...

Took the kids...there was so many people there you couldn't hardly move...

Made it difficult to see display tanks with people crowding all around. They have got their displays set up nicely but getting around really feels like you are in a maze...I opted not to see everything as coral reef exhibit was the coolest so I spent alot of time there. I realize the exhibits are new and coral reef has lots of frags...they did have some tanks suffering with dead corals, aiptasia, cyano, bubble algae and hair algae.

I hope you have a good time and I hope this post hasn't been too negative...it is well worth going...it was just that it was my most anticipated stop on our trip and I was let down somewhat...

DrMerle

I had a similar experience to coralreefer. I went in May and had a great time! I really enjoyed the entire place but it was really crowded! I would definatley recommend getting there as early as possible so that you can get tickets to the planetarium and such as well as have time to walk through the rainforest dome and a few hours to stare at the reef system. Check out the shallow part on the main level. It is pretty sweet and probably my favorite part though the display is breath taking. Also make sure to go up on the roof :)

Garrett