My new addition: Snowflake Eel

Rick

Here are some pics of my newest addition. This one went into the new 40g tank I just picked up which I decided to turn into an aggressive reef so it will be a little different from my other tank. It's somewhere between 10 and 12 inches long I think. (Originally I thought it was a little shorter) I put it in there yesterday and within a couple of hours it ate part of a silverside which I was actually feeding to the trigger as a treat. It poked it's head out and took it right out of my hand which I thought was pretty cool. Today I gave it a small piece of cocktail shrimp as well which it also took from my hand. (As long as it doesn't mistake my fingers for food then we will be in good shape) Thsi evening he started exploring more of the tank after the lights went out which gave me more opportunity to get some pics. Had to use the flash but I still think they turned out okay.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5423&stc=1&d=1249021604

attachment.php?attachmentid=5421&stc=1&d=1249021604

attachment.php?attachmentid=5422&stc=1&d=1249021604

attachment.php?attachmentid=5424&stc=1&d=1249021604

post-5811-141867777609_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867777612_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867777616_thumb.jpg

post-5811-14186777762_thumb.jpg

And a couple more:

BTW, does anyone know if all hermits will become snacks for this? Or will a large one stand a chance at surviving? I have an Electric Blue Hermit that is pretty big (The shell it carries around is about 1 3/4" wide) and when I put it in my other tank today it proceeded to cut a path across the corals knocking several to the bottom. I put it back in this tank but if it doesn't stand any chance at all then I'll put it in my sump instead.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5425&stc=1&d=1249022336

attachment.php?attachmentid=5426&stc=1&d=1249022336

post-5811-141867747218_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747222_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty cool, nice to have something out of the ordinary. where did you get it.

Let me know if you want to stop by and look at that overflow

Garrett was able to get it for me. I think Nick and Patrick both get them from time to time as well.

I might take a look at that next time I am in the area. I think I still have your number so I'll call if I'm going to be around there.

BTW, I've been looking at these for a month or so. The only reason I didn't get one earlier is that they eat crustaceans and my hermits and red fire shrimp may have turned into expensive snacks. (I doubt I could catch all 3 shrimp although the fire shrimp started eating from my hand a day or two ago and finding all of the hermits would be impossible) The new tank gave me the opportunity to start without the crabs and shrimp though.

nice i have a great story about one of those eels!

got it for free the guy didn't have any bags so we put it in a tupperware container. I was driving home and a squirrel ran across the road i hit the brakes the container with eel go sliding onto the floor and bust open. So now i have an eel between my feet flopping around. I pull over to the side of the road lift my foot up to hit the brake, step on the eel which is btw very slimy. Get out of the car, eel decides to come with me and hits the concrete and flops under the car. I got chase him down and catch him. Got him just about ready to dump him back in container when he slips out of my hands and into the seat. About now the eel is covered with dust rocks, hair, and who knows what else. Get him finally back into the container with no water. Still have 5 miles to drive home. Get home wash him off in saltwater and throw him in the tank, none the worse! Man those guys are tough!

great looking snowflake. my friend has one and they ar really fun to watch. are you worried about it eating the clowns? snowflakes can be pretty agressive to smaller fish sometimes.

More worried about what the Clowns might do to the Eel (She is the meanest fish I have). The pics above don't show it too well but I don't think this pair of Clowns is small enough for the Eel to bother. (I inquired with several others about this and none of them thought it would be an issue) I did remove the Firefish and Red Scooter Blenny which both went into my 85 gallon tank and I moved the flower pot up off the sand. Here is a better pic showing how big these clowns actually are. Using the egg crate in back to judge the size he is around 3 1/2 inches long and She is around 4" long. Not as big as the Black and White ones I have in the other tank but still pretty good sized. (They don't hesitate to chase the trigger away from their area)

attachment.php?attachmentid=5427&stc=1&d=1249058250

post-5811-141867747226_thumb.jpg

nice i have a great story about one of those eels!

got it for free the guy didn't have any bags so we put it in a tupperware container. I was driving home and a squirrel ran across the road i hit the brakes the container with eel go sliding onto the floor and bust open. So now i have an eel between my feet flopping around. I pull over to the side of the road lift my foot up to hit the brake, step on the eel which is btw very slimy. Get out of the car, eel decides to come with me and hits the concrete and flops under the car. I got chase him down and catch him. Got him just about ready to dump him back in container when he slips out of my hands and into the seat. About now the eel is covered with dust rocks, hair, and who knows what else. Get him finally back into the container with no water. Still have 5 miles to drive home. Get home wash him off in saltwater and throw him in the tank, none the worse! Man those guys are tough!

(clap)(clap)

Stylaster that is way too funny. I was drinking a powerade and almost choked to death. I could picture the whole thing.

Roy, that is too funny.

Here are some more pics from this morning. The eel found the pcv tunnel last night that I put under the sand. It as 3 openings. One in the middle towards the rear which is currently pretty much hidden between the rocks and under the flower pot. The second is hidden completely under the rocks and the third is out in the open.

This FTS shows the tunnel on the right and another opening under the flower pot. The other opening is hidden under the rocks on the left.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5436&stc=1&d=1249135723

Here you can see it down inside the tunnel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5437&stc=1&d=1249135723

Poking its head out to get a look around.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5438&stc=1&d=1249135723

attachment.php?attachmentid=5439&stc=1&d=1249135723

attachment.php?attachmentid=5440&stc=1&d=1249135723

post-5811-141867747234_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747237_thumb.jpg

post-5811-14186774724_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747244_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867747247_thumb.jpg