Moving tank...fix scratches, etc....

ClayTheSavageFraser

Has anybody used one of these? I have some scratches. I am moving soon and thought that this would be a perfect time to do it. Any tips, suggestions, or time to help? LOL!!

I am also moving into a new house!! Holy MAMA!! This will be the first time moving my tank after I got everything perfect, stable and full of coral? What should I do? How should I do it?

ClayDOH!

I thought Id share a story of my stupidity. We purchased our 1st SW tank from a relative about 2-years ago. (75 gallon) I knew that moving a tank of this size would be nearly an all day event (even though we only had to go 2 miles). To prepare for the move I bought (6) -10 gallon rubbermaid containers, and (4) of the 20 gallon size. We took all of the containers, plus a large 120 quart fish cooler to make the move. We drained all the water into the rubbermaids and separated out the fish and corals. The tang went into one of the 20 gallon containers with about 12-gallons of water. (I thought I was smart enough to not overfill.) Well we got almost everything packed up and loaded into my truck and my wifes new Mazda CX-7. (75 gallon tank fits with the seats down)

What I didnt take into account was how steep the driveway was. I put one of the rubbermaid containers on the floor of my truck and the one with the tang on the front seat. As soon as I pulled up the driveway the top of the rubbermaid on the seat popped off and water began to spill out. I couldnt stop because I was pulling up the driveway and out onto the main road. As soon as I crested the hill, the container tipped back and spilled all but about 2-gallons of the water and the tang out onto the front seat. Since I was less than 2-miles from home, I just held on with one hand and drove as carefully as possible. By the time I got home, more than 10-gallons of saltwater had been spilled out on my seat and floor. DOH!

What was worse, was my wife had nearly the same experience in her new car. Fortunately most of the water (nearly a gallon) went into the spare tire well.

So by now I was ticked off and had to finish the move into the house. All was good except I had left behind a rubbermaid with some corals and some equipment. So I raced back to my relatives to pickup the rest. As I rounded a very sharp corner going too fast, I heard a swoosh. There was a 5-gallon bucket on the back seat of my truck with the filter and all the nasty filter water in it. (My brother in law who helped in the move put it there.) I had no idea that it was back there, until it tipped over spilling a gallon of the worlds nastiest water all over the back seat. (My truck still smells like something washed up on the beach.)

I guess the moral of this story is if you use rubbermaids to move, make sure they are the type with the locking sealed top and only fill 1/3 of the way. Or more preferably use 5 gallon buckets with screw down tops.