Cheapo Kalk Reactor

Algae

I am currently dosing Kalk via the Calfo Slurry Method and my because it consists of mixing kalk, not letting it settle or form a layer of impurities on the top while pouring in a high flow area of the tank, it has inherent problems. The first is although I use high quality food grade kalk the impurities are still being added to the tank. The other is that I am limited to using appx. 3/4 tsp. of kalk so my PH doesn't jump more than .2 at one time.

I don't want to use Kalk in my top-off because of

differences in the top off water required.

My thinking is to put Kalk into a covered salt bucket. Use a MaxiJet to stir it a few times during the night and pump it with a Aqualifter into my sump each time after it settles/clears. I could control all this with my Aquacontroller. Any problems with this logic?

Yeah, I would program the PH barrier into the AC. Bummer about the voltage. Some of the consumer grade dosing pumps out there have a reliability issues. I know Miles has the skivy on that in one of his posts. Choking back a Maxi does not seem like the best idea.

I thought all of Utah was in bed by now?

You would have to add kalk daily or so as the mixed kalk cant be exposed to the air. Reactor are used so the chamber is completely full of water and no air is in the chamber.

I'm not sure what you mean by different top off water as thats the desired method of adding kalk. I only stir my reactor at night not during the day this keeps the Ph in check at night but doesnt affect once the lights are on

I,ve seen a float put on top of the Kalk mixture (think round rubber blanket) reactor to limit the amount of air affecting the mixture. How well it works.....

My evaporation rates change through the season. I like the idea of keeping my Kalk dosage separate. My dosage is not related to water evaporation.

When I started using Kalk to maintain Ph I did some reading and tried the 5 gal night drip, daily slurry etc. I found that the reactor was much easier and lasted alot longer (up to 2 weeks). I made my own ut of and old skimmer body

WWM.com

Kalkwasser solution should always be stored in an airtight container to minimize its exposure to atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Open to air, the solution will lose its usefulness very quickly as the chemicals in the water react with the air, particularly atmospheric carbon dioxide. The amount of hydroxide in the kalkwasser goes down, and consequently its usefulness as a pH buffer diminishes.

When I started using Kalk to maintain Ph I did some reading and tried the 5 gal night drip, daily slurry etc. I found that the reactor was much easier and lasted alot longer (up to 2 weeks). I made my own ut of and old skimmer body

WWM.com

Kalkwasser solution should always be stored in an airtight container to minimize its exposure to atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Open to air, the solution will lose its usefulness very quickly as the chemicals in the water react with the air, particularly atmospheric carbon dioxide. The amount of hydroxide in the kalkwasser goes down, and consequently its usefulness as a pH buffer diminishes.

Thanks for the info. I had not heard that before.