First Reef Build. 72 Bow

moovinfast

How much flow do you have? I have quite a bit (somewhere between 3400 and 3900 GPH) and I have a frogspawn and I will eventually get a hammer as well. Frogspawn are primarily a filter feeder so I think they need moderate flow to keep food coming to them. Mine has always been in the path of an 1100 GPH power head (3 or 4 months now) and it seems to be doing well.

Rick is correct. I think that you could have a frogspawn or hammer coral without any issues. I have about 4000 gph movement in my tank, no issues. Just watch the placement and dont put it directly in front of one of the powerheads.

Well I have one K4 and Im about to get another one. So that will be 2400gph not including my return pump. The reason I went with the K4s is because I read about changing the impeller and reaching 3000pgh from one powerhead, but after I put it in the tank I think it 6000gph not including return pump would be too much. For fish, what about a couple of fire gobies or a jawfish. Anyone have problems with them jumping? I dont want to put a canopy on.

We love our jawfish. Probably my all time favorite. They have lots of personality and are fun to watch. They will relocate any snail or hermit that comes near "their" area. Havent had a firefish goby, but have always wanted one. We have a zebra goby, which is quite similar. There are so many other fishes to choose from, it makes a decision really hard. I try to mix up shapes / colors and swimming habits, but it all depends on what you like.

My other fav, is our Midas goby. Really pretty and bold. I'll post some pics on my tank thread, so I dont hijack this one.

I think I narrowed it down to fish to add. A midas blenny, firefish, jawfish and a foxface rabbit. They should all be ok shouldnt they? Can I have them all? All i have now are two small clown fish, a jewel blenny, some snails and shrimp and some corals.

Jawfish are jumpers so keep that in mind. (Enclose the hood to keep them from jumping over the back)

According to Live Aquaria the Midas Blenny my nip at the firefish so I would research that a little further too. (I wouldn't assume the information there is correct but would instead try to verify it elsewhere)

Picked up the RO/DI and have already did a large water chance. Noticed things look better already. I found a deal on 2 more k4s. So now Im running 3. Seems to be enough flow now. One of the yumas didnt make it and the other is looking kind of sad but holding on. I also purchased my first coral the other day. I picked up a bubble wall coral. It looks awesome. I also picked up a carpet anemone. It moved last night. Hopefully it will find a spot soon.

3799109666_0c9976e56a_o.jpg

3798293183_43ed89f851_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its been a while since I've taken some shots of the tank or updated so here you go.

We now have 2 baby green yumas

4182863626_4d6e364de1_o.jpg

Our Blenny (pigpen) has gotten nice and fat

4182101325_deb1aa8e81_o.jpg

4182864020_4edb843509_o.jpg

The rainbow zoas have almost doubled. They didnt look like they were going to make it when we first put them in

4182101551_fc249ffd1e_o.jpg

Our little clown fish are a little larger now and have gotten much darker in color. (Bert, and Ernie) We lost one during a 6-8 hour power outage so the lighter clown we just added a few weeks ago.

4182864266_90b7ee6ba4_o.jpg

4182864368_91bd826c78_o.jpg

This has gotten larger and has lots more color now too.

4182864468_dd8d6fd852_o.jpg

Our GSP is growing like a weed.

4182101993_03d77885c4_o.jpg

Bubble coral is still nice and happy. And you can see the blue clover has almost quadrupled in size

4182102081_97a6a2d8e3_o.jpg

The green polys in the middle are also growing like a weed. On polyp ended up a little bit above it and in 2-3 months it had like 9-12 heads. I just took them out to frag the straggler.

4182864776_324a8102cc_o.jpg