Upgraded Halide ?

SnowboardKid26

So i upgraded from a 175w Venture 10/14K to a 250w Venture 10/14k last night. My tank got about an hour of 250w last night, and I'm wondering how much to cut my lights back.

My photo period is:

8am 1 12" VHO on

8:30am the other 12" VHO on

9am Halide on

7pm Halide off

8pm VHO off

9pm VHO off, moonlight on

Please give me some ideas, I don't think that its going to be a HUGE shock to anything since the color didn't change, just the intensity. My tank is all SPS, clams, and zoas.

Thanks

SBK

I would raise the light if possible, if not cut 1 1/5 hr morning and night, raise both am,pm lighting back20 minutes a week till done, that is a long photo period your running IMO, do the same on your PM as your doing on the am, vho.... 175 doesn't sound like much to 250 but it is a a percentage factor. So better safe than sorry, it may do just fine with no change, but I would

I would raise the light if possible' date=' if not cut 1 1/5 hr morning and night, raise both am,pm lighting back20 minutes a week till done, that is a long photo period your running IMO, do the same on your PM as your doing on the am, vho.... 175 doesn't sound like much to 250 but it is a a percentage factor. So better safe than sorry, it may do just fine with no change, but I would[/quote']

agree always recommend raising the light to reduce par. Then slowly lower.

i went from dual 175watt venture bulbs to dual 400watt radiums/pfo400hqi a few years ago. which is a greater jump than your going through....but same idea...

i just reduced the exposure time the corals had to the 400watters at a time....my reasoning was that in the beginning of summer, some of us(not me:D) get sunburnt from the first couple outdoor activities envolving being out in the sun....so u could put on sunscreen, or u could just be smart about your exposure and ramp up the hrs/day and just develop a nice tan:D

so back to the tank, i started this on the weekend (u could just set your timer up to trigger twice a day)and started out doing 2hrs of MH on twice a day. then ramped up a 1/2 hr per day or two.....i had no noticeable bleaching or lightening of coral....i actually hurried through this process and did it in 3-4 days.......HTH