does anybody know of a local company that will buff out acrylic

kev311

I just picked up my father in laws 40 gal acrylic tank that he had for like 15 years and I was just wondering if any one knew of a company or something that could help it look new again most of the scratches are not that bad and it does look a bit hazey.

buffing

you can use a power buffer to do it, go to a acrylic shop get some acrylic buffer, #2 & #3 prolly, tell them what you are doing, they can set you up, if you don't have a buffer, you can do it by hand with a cotton or terry cloth, takes a lot of elbow grease tho. if you use a buffer, be careful, you can wear circles in the tank, that will be distorted when you put water in it. IMO or your local fish store can prolly do it

I was so cheep I just used car buffing compounds for my frag tank. Started with gritty compounds then went to the polish stuff. Not sure if its tank safe so I washed it real well. You could still see the real big scraches if you look real hard but it was just a frag tank so I was happy.(rock2)

Its not that hard, but definitely takes alot of time, so most shops wont do it. I buffed out my 225 reef and it took over 40 hours easy. I started with 400 grit sandpaper and worked up thru 12,000 and then took a buffer with novus 3 and then 2. Looks brand new. My friend just buffed out his 300 gallon tank and only went up to about 2000 i believe and it looks great also. Just alot of work,lol.