frogspawn puffy

wobble

To help you answer this question, you need to post things like your tank size, lights, flow, age of tank, test everything you can, how long you have had the coral, how long has it been doing this. What fish are in there that could bother it...

I find that under lower light (AP24 with PC lights), my FS tend to puff up more like that. In my display tank (75g with 6x54w TEK light) the tentacles were more stubby and thin. That leads me to believe that it could be a lighting thing.

dsoz

75g display, 4x54w T5 w/icecap reflectors (bulbs are six months old), K4 and Ocean Runner 2500 return pump for flow. I notice the icecap reflectors aren't very shiny anymore. Maybe they could use a polishing.

Tank has been set up for three years. Purchased the frogspawn around six months ago. Past couple months it's been puffy like that. Right around the same time I removed one of the K4s. It had too much current and the tentacles on the frogspawn were twisting around each other and some were breaking off. Frogspawn is located in the middle-upper portion of the tank.

I have a hammer coral that's doing great. I also have a branching hammer coral that's puffy like the frogspawn. They were also purchased around six months ago and the branching hammer coral has looked round and puffy for the past few months as well.

Fish: yellow tang, kole tang, yellow wrasse, maroon clown, yellow banana moray eel, (3) blue devil damsels. Hermit crabs and snails.

Did a few tests:

SG 1.025

Nitrates 0

Alk 8 dkh (buffering with baking soda daily to maintain or it drops to 6)

I would try moving it to the bottom of the tank. If you have sand, pile some around the skeleton to keep it upright. Another way to keep it up is to use a short piece of PVC pipe to act like a "flower pot" to plant the FS in.

When it has lower light for a couple of weeks, look to see how the tentacles look then.

If it is eating, growing, splitting off new heads, then there is no reason to worry.

dsoz