a live rock question

gopens

well thanks to a lot of people here, it looks like my tank well be ready tommorow for water and live rock. with that being said, what is the least amount of live rock i would need to start my cycle with my tank (80gl). i am also putting in a bag of live sand. the reason why i ask what is the least i can start is because my local guy wants 5.50 a pound for live rock. that seems high because i have seen it for 1.99 pound on-line. sure there are going to be some die-off, but from what i heard it is minimal. so i was going to buy the least amount i could tommorow, to start the cycle, than order some on-line monday. also he sells this custom live rock. it looks like it is made with cement. but he told me that its better than live rock because he puts crushed coral in it. the one thing about that custom coral is he can make cool things with it. so is this custom coral just as good or should i stay away from it. thanks again for the help...

Could you use caps next time. It is hard to read when its all lowercase.

You can start with a few pounds of live rock. The main thing you are after is a starter source of bacteria to start the cycle. A few pounds of live rock will have plenty of goodies in it to get you rolling. Hand-made rocks are fine as long as they have cured long enough. I have not made any myself but I think it takes them a few weeks to a month before they are safe to put in a tank.

Could you use caps next time. It is hard to read when its all lowercase.

You can start with a few pounds of live rock. The main thing you are after is a starter source of bacteria to start the cycle. A few pounds of live rock will have plenty of goodies in it to get you rolling. Hand-made rocks are fine as long as they have cured long enough. I have not made any myself but I think it takes them a few weeks to a month before they are safe to put in a tank.

cool thanks...

I think top-quality live rock is one of the best investments you can make for your tank. It is covered with coralline algae, interesting hitchikers, copepods, sponges, corals, chitons, etc -- plus it's filled with the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria you need for ammonia and nitrite processing.

Cheap live rock won't be much more than base rock, little to no life on it at all. I was lucky and found a local hobbyist who was selling a lot of fantastic rock, and I filled my tank with it. Before seeing his ad in the classifieds here on the site I was planning on ordering cheap LR from liveaquaria.com. Now, I'm really glad I didn't 'cause I know I wouldn't be as happy as I am now.

I think top-quality live rock is one of the best investments you can make for your tank. It is covered with coralline algae, interesting hitchikers, copepods, sponges, corals, chitons, etc -- plus it's filled with the aerobic and anaerobic bacteria you need for ammonia and nitrite processing.

Cheap live rock won't be much more than base rock, little to no life on it at all. I was lucky and found a local hobbyist who was selling a lot of fantastic rock, and I filled my tank with it. Before seeing his ad in the classifieds here on the site I was planning on ordering cheap LR from liveaquaria.com. Now, I'm really glad I didn't 'cause I know I wouldn't be as happy as I am now.

Even if cheaper live rock is not as packed with goodies as the more expensive, won't it become just as good over time. The reason why i ask is i am looking at a 350.00 dollar difference just in live rock. thanks for the responce...

Hay buddy, this is both good, and bad. First, yes you can start with a little local. If you can find some in the classifies paper down there, that is still in a tank. That's better yet. Even when you get it by mail order. You will have to go the long cycle. The rock is shipped, rapped in newspaper. There is a large die off in transit, and there is no way to know how long it actually has been sitting in a pile before shipping. Not in water, five minutes, hours or days. The "Die off" Is still going to happen. Yes, you can put this all in to the tank, and let it go through the cycle> that’s fine to do. Being your starting from the beginning. The skimmer, as discussed, is critical in this event. You should skim wet. We can talk about it later. Back to rock. I agree with Andy that quality rock is important. There are also many differences in rock. Base rock, well, looks like rock. Not much life, if any or color. Is much denser and heavier. I use it for just that. The base of my stacking. I prefer branch. I like large coral branches, is lighter, more open, for circulation, And I like the looks the best. I have never used man made rock, and I think I would have to debate it being better. I’ll stick with the real thing

http://www.liveaquaria.com/search/default.cfm

This link will give you more information and pictures.

. Yes, a large part of your aquascaping, is the rock you are using, and the life your also getting. Yes, as you will read, it does need to be “recurred”

There are other places to by live rock. Do a search, really to be blunt. The term in its self “Live Rock” When buying it, getting it shipped, should really say, “All most fully dead rock” IMO

As discussed. You need to be patience. It will take time. Do not add any chemicals at this time, or livestock. :)

well thanks again sir. maybe a few loans will be coming your way, lol. it looks like my custom sump well be here in the morning. i also bought my skimmer, so i am about ready, i just need some live rock. So Blaine, can youm or anyone else, give me an idea on what the minimum should be on cycling an 80gl. would 20 pounds be fine? also i do have live sand. i don't really know if this helps. i was just told to buy it...

well thanks again sir. maybe a few loans will be coming your way' date=' lol. it looks like my custom sump well be here in the morning. i also bought my skimmer, so i am about ready, i just need some live rock. So Blaine, can youm or anyone else, give me an idea on what the minimum should be on cycling an 80gl. would 20 pounds be fine? also i do have live sand. i don't really know if this helps. i was just told to buy it...[/quote']

Ok, I wouldn't put sand in at all yet. Why you ask. Because the "rock" you will be getting, adding to the rock you are buying local, still need to age. The local will help a lot, with the bacteria it has in it all ready. The rock you are going to order, will do some "shedding" of dead material, this need to be removed on a reguulas basis for the first month. DID you read that right, crap, month, fraid so. Now, why I say no sand yet. Yosiphonedu wil have areas around the rocks, were crud will accumilate. It need to be siphoned off. If you have sand in it. It is much harder. If I, and just another opinion, and I'm goin to do it. I would do a rock lift, as what FlyGuy builds, that allowes full circulation. But that is something you can talk to him, about as he builds them, if interested.

Oh yea, is the "live sand" in a bag? Can you get a bucket of tank water, from were your getting your LR local, if so. get 5 gal if it. Did you talk to the guy we said to contact down there that does maintenence? Please answer questions. I will continue when I know

Man made live rock is not "premium" rock. you shouldn't pay more for man made.

If your going to cycle your tank with uncured rock, that is rock that is going to have a huge die off, dont add your sand to the tank yet. Sand soaks up nutrients, nitrates, and phosphates like a sponge, and if you add your sand now, you'll be fighting to get that crap out for a while.

Ok, I wouldn't put sand in at all yet. Why you ask. Because the "rock" you will be getting, adding to the rock you are buying local, still need to age. The local will help a lot, with the bacteria it has in it all ready. The rock you are going to order, will do some "shedding" of dead material, this need to be removed on a reguulas basis for the first month. DID you read that right, crap, month, fraid so. Now, why I say no sand yet. Yosiphonedu wil have areas around the rocks, were crud will accumilate. It need to be siphoned off. If you have sand in it. It is much harder. If I, and just another opinion, and I'm goin to do it. I would do a rock lift, as what FlyGuy builds, that allowes full circulation. But that is something you can talk to him, about as he builds them, if interested.

Oh yea, is the "live sand" in a bag? Can you get a bucket of tank water, from were your getting your LR local, if so. get 5 gal if it. Did you talk to the guy we said to contact down there that does maintenence? Please answer questions. I will continue when I know

the live sand is in a bag. i am sure i would be able to get the bucket of water. also i did not contact him yet. there is a new shop that opened here in town recently, and i was going to talk to him today when he brings over my sump and skimmer...

Ok Live sand in a bag. Don't put it in, not yet. The rocks NEED TIME. If the NEW SHOP has live rock,,,, again you need to know how long he has had it, very important, if he got it last week, and is now selling it IT IS NOT READY FOR ANY LIVE STOCK. Read the link I sent you, about curing, and recuring. What Skimmer did you get, is it a RC type?????