Cure for bryopsis

fly guy

Ok, i had some bryopsis growing in my last tank i broke down a few months ago.......i clipped a bunch of corals off at the base and cooked all of the rock in order to get rid of the stuff but some of it invariably ended up traveling along with my corals that were on rocks that didnt get cooked. Even though my rock is well cooked and there are no measurable phosphates and there isnt any other types of bad algae growing in my tank that bryopsis(otherwise known as the spawn of satan) was still visible in small patches here and there.

I figured out how to get rid of it for good. I had it beat a few weeks ago but now i can confidently say it worked.

1. do all that usual good husbandry stuff..........cook your rock and feed and stock appropriately and skim wet......

2. Go buy about $10 or $20(or whatever you need) worth of cheap superglue gel. Every time you see a tiny tuft of the stuff, pull off what you can and cover the rest of it in a liberal amount of crazy glue gel. Gone. :D

I doubt im the first person to use this method but just thought i would share for anyone who is having the unfortunate luck to have to deal with it.........granted, you will have to get it down to a dealable level for this to be effective, but i wnet to fairly extreme measures and it wasnt good enough...i cant count how many bases of frags i simply cut off before i got to this point.

I just may be the only person on the planet to ever have a problem with it. (scratch)

Its kind of like hair algae on steroids. It has much thicker stalks. I swear the only thing it requires is light and that little tiny bit of phosphate in your water column that Salifert is not acurate enough to pick up on. That crap will grow in a system that other nuisance algae will not.

heres a pic blaine.....you know how i got rid of it on this coral about 6 months ago????? I fragged the coral and threw away the part of the coral where it had this stuff growing under the edge of it....... Now i would just pluck as much as possible cover it in crazy glue. This pic doesnt show it bery well but if it hasnt been recently plucked it has kind of feathery tips on the plant.....

rustyellowplate.jpg

I don't know what fish you have in that tank or others. My question would be, would a tang/ foxface (no, not you foxy) eat this stuff. Now I perfectly understand not dropping it into a clean tank to find out, just wondered. I know I have stuff, I'll have to get a picture of it, that calcium seems to get sucked up by it, the tangs don't eat it. I have to "Yank" it off the rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

just shield the coral with a piece of metal. I have this crap going nuts in my nano right now. it gets so bad it will actually grow off anything. I am trying the starvation technique with my LMB and he is trying it out but does not seem very interested (even though his belly is full). i expect to torch the rock, mushrooms and all sometime this month... this is evil spawn of the lowest reaches... evil stuff. it is so evil it can even choke out hair algae (it really can!!!)