Which RODI?

gradth

So since im spending stupid amounts of money buying my water from the LFS Im finally going to invest in a RODI unit.

Any suggestions on what to get, what to look for, that sort of thing.

Dont need a huge unit, 50gpd would be more than sufficient im guessing.

I bought the 5 stage from BRS http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI-Filters-&-Systems-RO/DI-Systems/c9_10/p366/Standard-75GDP-RO/DI-5-Stage-System/product_info.html Good little unit and has worked great. I am local so am sure our water is the same crap that is filed with TDS' date='sDOH! Mine tests at almos a 100 going into the unit.[/quote']

That looks like a lot better deal than I got, I would stay away from the name brands/sites as most of the equipment is the same Without the fancy sticker or $$

You can buy a good unit on Ebay for about $150 shipped. You don't have to drop a fortune on one of these. I also suggest not buying a used one. You can't guarantee if the membrane is screwed up or what. I know this goes against being a retailer.

Mine is called a Mighty Mite and is sold by airwaterice.com.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/Mighty_Mite_50GPD_with_DI_Added.html

I got a deal on it here after it was won by a member here at the recent raffle. I've only had it a few weeks so haven't bothered testing the output. It makes about 30 gallons a day hooked up to the bathroom faucet. (I use a tote in the bathtub so I don't have to worry about overflowing) If I were to go out now and buy another paying full price I think I would get one of these again.

I was getting 3 buckets each trip (once a week or more) with an average cost of about $1.50.(I only know 2 stores selling freshwater for $1 while the others sell it for about $2) Figure $4.50. Now add on an average of approx. $5.00 in gas. (A little less if in Vanc. more if in PDX) Figuring on the low side at $8.00 per week (probably closer to 10) it only takes a few months to add up to the cost of a RODI unit. Plus it is a lot more convenient not having to carry buckets back and forth.

I don't have any type right now i just want to see what you guys think about RO units wasting 75 to 95 gallons of water to make 5 gallons pure? and how much does that add to your water bill using all that extra water? When I'm ready to set up a filter unit why not use just a duel DI unit? I would like to here your experience.

there are units available that have a 1:1 ratio but they are really expensive. Dual Di's are okay, but not anywhere close to ro/di. You can use the waste water to fill your washing machine, you can wash dishes with it, or I know a guy who plumbed in a misting system for his outside plants. You can also water your garden with it, wash your car, or put it in a "rain barrel".

thanks both for response, still would like to hear others thoughts. anyone know where online to get a duel DI system without RO. cus all i could find said it was for adding to RO unit? Like this one. Could it be set up to run by its self? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI-Filters-&-Systems-RO/DI-Systems/c9_10/p44/Dual-Deionization-Resin-Canisters/product_info.html

I Can get in brand new 150 gallon per day 6 - stage ro di unit for $150. They work excellent!

with 1 x 10" 5 micron Polypropylene sediment Pre-Filter with housing

with 1 x 10" CTO granular activated carbon Pre-Filter with housing

with 1 x 10" 5 micron coconut carbon block Pre-Filter with housing

with 1 x 10" Premiun Quality Housing for Reverse Osmosis Membrane

with 1 x 10" USA Clear De-Ionized DI Post-Filter

with 1 x 10" USA Clear De-Ionized DI Post-Filter

I know a guy who plumbed in a misting system for his outside plants. You can also water your garden with it' date=' wash your car, or put it in a "rain barrel".[/quote']

You sure those were "outside" plants bob?rofl (laugh)

Thank you....... Thank you........ Thank you...........

(kneel)

Seriously though,

There are plenty of uses for the wastewater. I have mine plumbed to water the rosebush on the side of my house. I also have a Tee hooked to the line to divert wherever else needed.

I bought this one. The membrane went out after a couple years and I bought another one. It was free shipping and was 115 bucks back then. I have since replaced the di chambers with a big external one with built in tds meter before the di and after the di. So I can measure the tds before the di chamber and after.

Heres the add on chamber I got

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVERSE-OSMOSIS-RO-DI-TWIN-DI-ADD-ON-KIT-w-TDS-METER_W0QQitemZ250288898743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a466182b7&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A30

And here is the rodi unit I have

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-REEF-RO-DI-REVERSE-OSMOSIS-WATER-FILTRATION-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ350218183163QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518aa161fb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A3|294%3A50

Try to get one from Rose City.....thats where I got my aquarium

Jay