Magnesium

Nyles

What are most people that actually watch magnsium doing when there levels slowly deplete?

I was using Seachem reefsalt and it kept the levels fairly well (1275-1350), but still slowly dropped.

I had a tank issue where I needed to do some large water changes so I used IO salt for the time being. Now the levels are dropping like a rock (1125), there not critical but I want to get it balanced before it does. Its dropping about 15-20 ppm per week aprox.

I know some people are getting the level up slowly by adding Epsom salt, others are using additives, and some can keep it level with just a reef salt.

For those that have watched the level deplete what did you use to get it back up safely?

I going to do a small (routine) water change tommorow with my reef salt but Im sure it will have a low impact on the levels.

Im thinking of getting the Magnesium salt from seachem, I'm not so sure about using the epsom after what I read from Randy holmes-Farley.

Let me know. Thanks guys / girls.

im suprised more people arent ''into'' magnesium...its found at over 3 times the concentration as calcium in the ocean and is vital in coral skeleton growth...i found awhile back i couldnt keep my calcium and alkalinity balanaced....both were low and the calcium was falling faster...now matter how i dosed those 2 i couldnt keep the levels up. i decided to test for mag and it was about 1000...supposed to be like 1350. it took about 60 oz of kent tech-m to get the levels up over the course of like a month. since then i have to dose maybe once a month to keep it at 1350. took alot to recover from low levels but stays consistent once its up. calcium and alk also balanced out.

I had no luck, Im going to keep an eye out for it, for now I just used epsom, over the weekend I got it up to 1300 very easily. But ultimatly I would like to use 75% mag and 25% epsom. If anyone finds any let me know, I will post if I find some. Im thinking a hardware store or feed store will be my first places to look. Thanks for your interest Joel!

I would have been happy to use a aquatics brand, but what I could find near me it would have cost me over $100 to get it up... but they didnt have very good products either (low concentration)